From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
What the OP is asking is how to have an app that allows for either of two types of
documents to be created, at the user's request, instead of creating only one type of
document by default. The techniques discussed earlier are what are required.
joe

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 03:08:04 -0700 (PDT), Goran <goran.pusic(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Apr 21, 2:39�am, Jd <j.durgapra...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why I chose this "No document on startup" idea, is that my app has
>> some more features, which doesn't depend on the document.
>> User can use the same application for creating a configuration file or
>> can use it for status monitoring.
>
>Ok, but what's wrong with creating your file while you have e.g. an
>empty new document open? I don't see the relation between the two. I
>don't quite understand what you mean by "status monitoring", but
>again, isn't this also orthogonal to the doc? I have a similar app
>(speaks to embedded devices over a proprietary protocol over a serial/
>TAPI/TCP connection), and that indeed is orthogonal to the document in
>our case.
>
>Goran.
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Actually, I did this some years ago. The "config" file was an external file that
specified the properties of a remote embedded system. The other type of documeht actually
communicated to a remote embedded system.
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
My bias is that I do not ever use SDI (I find it largely useless, and every time I did an
SDI app, the customer ended up with an MDI need and I had to convert it, so I never even
*think* of SDI as a viable model any longe).
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
My client needs have always turned out to be

1. We need to work on more than one thing at a time
2. We need to see more than one view at a time on a thing
3. We need to work on zero or more things at once

Note that 3 is a generalization of 1: it allows zero things to be active. So it isn't
just working on 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 things, but the possibility that all things will be
closed and no thing will be currently active. And a 'thing' is usually represented as a
'document' (there is a horrible failure to communicate what a 'document' means; I've seen
cases where they "get rid of all that useless document code" because "we aren't writing to
a file", and they've expended WEEKS of effort to no value whatsoever; I point out a
'document' is an interface to some persistent state, and in their case, the 'persistent
state' is in the embedded controller at the end of a wire, so the document is a 'virtual
document' and provides the interface to the device, at which point they say "You mean ALL
THAT WORK we expended to eliminate the unnecessary document code was wasted?" usually
followed by "and you mean ALL THAT WORK we expended so one view could talk to another so
the view could control the device was wasted?" and the answer is always "Yes, you wasted a
lot of effort and gained nothing". Sadly, they thought it was meaningful to eliminate the
"wasted code", and I asked them to compare the code-with-derived-CDocument to the
code-without-derived-CDocument and the difference is always minute: for example, 4K out of
280K (in one memoarable case) "So you thought was worth six weeks of your programmer's
time to save about 1% of the code space, or 4K out of 2GB virtual space, or you have saved
0.0002% of your virtual address space. Was this REALLY cost-effective?" and they say
"Well, we didn't want code bloat" which shows how truly incompetent most companies are in
evaluating what they are doing internally. I wonder sometimes how anyone could be this
stupid. But back in school, some programmer who learned how to program on a 64K PDP-11
told them that You Must Make Your Code As Small As Possible, and they never outgrew that
bad advice.
joe

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Probably 80% of the apps I write are dialog-based apps. There are small and subtle
differences between an dialog-based app and an SDI app with a CFormView; for example, the
SDI app has a status bar while the dialog-based app normally doesn't (but it can be
added). But overall most of the people don't seem to care about the distinctions.

I did one app that I thought "should" have been a dialog-based app, but I did it as MDI
mostly because we wanted multiple views/ Turns out we needed to handle multiple devices,
so when the client called and asked for it, all I did was disable the code that allowed
only one document at a time to open. Took maybe 2 minutes. I emailed the solution 20
minutes later (I did a little testing)

I also suggest that for learning MFC, dialog-based apps are often a better choice for a
beginner.

joe

Pages: 1 2
Prev: Derived Class at Design Time