From: Peter Olcott on

"Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> In a few words, what does your program do? Does it read or
> write files, of what size, does it do any intensive
> display operations, does it do any heavy calculations,
> what data size it's processing, how much memory it
> allocates for the data being processes, etc? Without that
> information it's not possible to identify the bottlenecks.
>
> And, by the way, do you have an antivirus running on a
> "slow" machine? It can slow file operations quite a lot.

Apparently the problem goes away when the program is run
under Windows 7. I was also pleased to find that Windows 7
boots a tiny bit faster than Win XP. My program is very
memory intensive. I generate every combination of
overlpapping character glyph and store the full color pixels
as UIN32 in a std:vector.

> "Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)SeeScreen.com> wrote in message
>> It turns out to not be the video card settings after all.
>> When I first run two different aspects of the program,
>> then they are both 500% to ten-fold faster, thus much
>> faster than the slow machine. This is with the original
>> video card settings.
>>
>> "Ajay Kalra" <ajaykalra(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Jan 22, 4:43 pm, "Peter Olcott" <NoS...(a)SeeScreen.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded my computer hardware from a 2.4 Ghz
>>> Celeron to a 2.66 Ghz Core i5 and an MFC application
>>> that I
>>> developed runs only half as fast on the faster machine.
>>> What
>>> could be causing this?
>>>
>>> Both machines have identical sata hard-drives, and the
>>> fast
>>> machine has much faster RAM 1333 ddr3 and 4.0 GB. The
>>> slower
>>> machine has 2.0 GB of 333 ddr RAM. Why is the slower
>>> machine
>>> twice as fast on the same executable?
>>
>> If you access to a profiler, this would be a good time to
>> use it. In
>> case you dont, I would fire the debugger and break/pause
>> when CPU is
>> pegged high and see if it gives you clue as to where it
>> breaks.
>>
>> Also, is the new machine acting fine for other apps?
>>
>> --
>> Ajay

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4