From: LabViewGuruWannabe on
Howdy,&nbsp;I'm trying to simply capture the keys pressed on a musical keyboard (using a USB-MIDI device) and display as a number from 0-127. Seems simple enough. But as I have read on this forum...- <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=186485&amp;query.id=125599#M186485" target="_blank">MIDI IN</a>
- <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/718" target="_blank">Communicating with a Windows MIDI Device in LabVIEW</a>
- <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/6223" target="_blank">The MIDI Throughput.vi</a>
And in several other places, like...- <a href="http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms712636%28VS.85%29.aspx" target="_blank">msdn Multimedia Functions</a>
- <a href="http://www.borg.com/%7Ejglatt/progs/software.htm" target="_blank">MIDI Software</a>
... this is not a simple task. The MIDI Throughput program works great if I want to play the keyboard's sound thru my computer, and so far its the closest thing to what I need. But its going to take a large amount of time for me to wrap my head around the whole kit and kaboodle. Apparently I need to learn the whole history of MIDI development, how the devices send the data packets, how the Windows API functions work, and write my own callback functions to the winmm.dll. Where's an intern when you need one!?! lol :smileywink:Sometimes I think we are really spoiled when we install a data aquisition card, install the drivers, select the channel(s) we want to read, and make all kinds of pretty graphs and stuff. NI makes it so easy to take such things for granted. If anyone already has a LabVIEW function to do this, please let me know!Thanks,- GregMessage Edited by LabViewGuruWannabe on 01-23-2008 11:00 PM