From: Ed McGettigan on
On Oct 28, 5:05 pm, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 8:27 am, LucienZ <lucien.zh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Dear all,
>
> > Has anyone ordered and used the ML605 Evaluation Kit?http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/EK-V6-ML605-G.htm
> > I noticed some attractive features like DDR3, PCIe Gen 2 and quite
> > high FPGA capacity (241,152 logic cells). Before my ordering I would
> > like to hear some comments.
>
> > Another feature of this board is the adoption of the FMC interfaces.
> > This is a new face to me, but it looks quite promising. However I have
> > a concern about it: if I just want to interface some simple IO devices
> > (e.g. a LCD panel and some push buttons), does that mean I still have
> > to do the PCB layout for them with a FMC connection (previously it
> > could be solved just by some IO pin headers)?
>
> > I also do not quite understand the pricing, I notice that the
> > XC6VLX240T-1FFG1156CES chip itself costs about $2,100, but the fledged
> > ML506 Kit only takes $1,995. Is this just a marketing scheme or there
> > are some other reasons?
>
> > Thanks very much for your time!
> > Lucien
>
> Yes, the features do make it a pretty cool board. :-)
>
> The main board already has push buttons, LEDS and a LCD so you are
> covered there. If you do want add on additional peripherals then yes,
> you will need to design a board as it isn't practical to attach wires
> to the FMC connectors.
>
> Xilinx will/should be releasing a FMC that is primarily intending for
> simple debug and is comprised of a series of 100 mil headers that are
> connected to the FMC connector.  This board could also be used for
> prototyping purposes.
>
> Ed McGettigan
> --
> Xilinx Inc.- Hide quoted text -

This board is now available for sale.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-FMC-DBG-G.htm it should be
sold under the HW-FMC-105-DEBUG-G part number, I'm not sure what
happened along the way.

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.
From: Antti on
On Nov 20, 6:40 am, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 5:05 pm, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 28, 8:27 am, LucienZ <lucien.zh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Dear all,
>
> > > Has anyone ordered and used the ML605 Evaluation Kit?http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/EK-V6-ML605-G.htm
> > > I noticed some attractive features like DDR3, PCIe Gen 2 and quite
> > > high FPGA capacity (241,152 logic cells). Before my ordering I would
> > > like to hear some comments.
>
> > > Another feature of this board is the adoption of the FMC interfaces.
> > > This is a new face to me, but it looks quite promising. However I have
> > > a concern about it: if I just want to interface some simple IO devices
> > > (e.g. a LCD panel and some push buttons), does that mean I still have
> > > to do the PCB layout for them with a FMC connection (previously it
> > > could be solved just by some IO pin headers)?
>
> > > I also do not quite understand the pricing, I notice that the
> > > XC6VLX240T-1FFG1156CES chip itself costs about $2,100, but the fledged
> > > ML506 Kit only takes $1,995. Is this just a marketing scheme or there
> > > are some other reasons?
>
> > > Thanks very much for your time!
> > > Lucien
>
> > Yes, the features do make it a pretty cool board. :-)
>
> > The main board already has push buttons, LEDS and a LCD so you are
> > covered there. If you do want add on additional peripherals then yes,
> > you will need to design a board as it isn't practical to attach wires
> > to the FMC connectors.
>
> > Xilinx will/should be releasing a FMC that is primarily intending for
> > simple debug and is comprised of a series of 100 mil headers that are
> > connected to the FMC connector.  This board could also be used for
> > prototyping purposes.
>
> > Ed McGettigan
> > --
> > Xilinx Inc.- Hide quoted text -

> This board is now available for sale.http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-FMC-DBG-G.htmit should be
> sold under the HW-FMC-105-DEBUG-G part number, I'm not sure what
> happened along the way.
>
> Ed McGettigan
> --
> Xilinx Inc.

super!
159$ for simplest connector brreakout board

this is more than many lower cost FPGA boards cost.

but this is Xilinx marketing.

Antti

From: LucienZ on
On Nov 20, 5:40 am, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> On Oct 28, 5:05 pm, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 28, 8:27 am, LucienZ <lucien.zh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Dear all,
>
> > > Has anyone ordered and used the ML605 Evaluation Kit?http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/EK-V6-ML605-G.htm
> > > I noticed some attractive features like DDR3, PCIe Gen 2 and quite
> > > high FPGA capacity (241,152 logic cells). Before my ordering I would
> > > like to hear some comments.
>
> > > Another feature of this board is the adoption of the FMC interfaces.
> > > This is a new face to me, but it looks quite promising. However I have
> > > a concern about it: if I just want to interface some simple IO devices
> > > (e.g. a LCD panel and some push buttons), does that mean I still have
> > > to do the PCB layout for them with a FMC connection (previously it
> > > could be solved just by some IO pin headers)?
>
> > > I also do not quite understand the pricing, I notice that the
> > > XC6VLX240T-1FFG1156CES chip itself costs about $2,100, but the fledged
> > > ML506 Kit only takes $1,995. Is this just a marketing scheme or there
> > > are some other reasons?
>
> > > Thanks very much for your time!
> > > Lucien
>
> > Yes, the features do make it a pretty cool board. :-)
>
> > The main board already has push buttons, LEDS and a LCD so you are
> > covered there. If you do want add on additional peripherals then yes,
> > you will need to design a board as it isn't practical to attach wires
> > to the FMC connectors.
>
> > Xilinx will/should be releasing a FMC that is primarily intending for
> > simple debug and is comprised of a series of 100 mil headers that are
> > connected to the FMC connector.  This board could also be used for
> > prototyping purposes.
>
> > Ed McGettigan
> > --
> > Xilinx Inc.- Hide quoted text -

> This board is now available for sale.http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-FMC-DBG-G.htmit should be
> sold under the HW-FMC-105-DEBUG-G part number, I'm not sure what
> happened along the way.
>
> Ed McGettigan
> --
> Xilinx Inc.

Nice! Thank you Ed!
From: Gabor on
On Nov 20, 2:40 am, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 6:40 am, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, the features do make it a pretty cool board. :-)
>
> > > The main board already has push buttons, LEDS and a LCD so you are
> > > covered there. If you do want add on additional peripherals then yes,
> > > you will need to design a board as it isn't practical to attach wires
> > > to the FMC connectors.
>
> > > Xilinx will/should be releasing a FMC that is primarily intending for
> > > simple debug and is comprised of a series of 100 mil headers that are
> > > connected to the FMC connector.  This board could also be used for
> > > prototyping purposes.
>
> > > Ed McGettigan
> > > --
> > > Xilinx Inc.- Hide quoted text -

> > This board is now available for sale.http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-FMC-DBG-G.htmitshould be
> > sold under the HW-FMC-105-DEBUG-G part number, I'm not sure what
> > happened along the way.
>
> > Ed McGettigan
> > --
> > Xilinx Inc.
>
> super!
> 159$ for simplest connector brreakout board
>
> this is more than many lower cost FPGA boards cost.
>
> but this is Xilinx marketing.
>
> Antti

Have you priced out the connectors?
From: Ed McGettigan on
On Nov 19, 11:40 pm, Antti <antti.luk...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 20, 6:40 am, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:

> > > Yes, the features do make it a pretty cool board. :-)
>
> > > The main board already has push buttons, LEDS and a LCD so you are
> > > covered there. If you do want add on additional peripherals then yes,
> > > you will need to design a board as it isn't practical to attach wires
> > > to the FMC connectors.
>
> > > Xilinx will/should be releasing a FMC that is primarily intending for
> > > simple debug and is comprised of a series of 100 mil headers that are
> > > connected to the FMC connector.  This board could also be used for
> > > prototyping purposes.
>
> > > Ed McGettigan
> > > --
> > > Xilinx Inc.- Hide quoted text -

> > This board is now available for sale.http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-FMC-DBG-G.htmitshould be
> > sold under the HW-FMC-105-DEBUG-G part number, I'm not sure what
> > happened along the way.
>
> > Ed McGettigan
> > --
> > Xilinx Inc.
>
> super!
> 159$ for simplest connector brreakout board
>
> this is more than many lower cost FPGA boards cost.
>
> but this is Xilinx marketing.
>
> Antti- Hide quoted text -

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Xilinx marketing".

Our cost and the resulting list priced is based on the build volume,
component, fab, assembly, test costs, overhead, shipping costs and
Xilinx/distributor margin. The expectation is that we will sell a few
hundred lifetime for a FMC module vs several thousand a year for a
development board so the cost structures are very different and are
reflected in the pricing.

The FMC-105-DEBUG is a bit more than a simple breakout card. The
design and construction enables high speed and quality signaling
between the carrier and the debug connectors and includes a high
precision Silicon Labs SI570 programmable clock source.

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last