From: Meadock on
I wrote a few programs a while back ago that used this control to play mp3s.
Back then it worked just fine. Now i was writing a new program using this
control and it plays .wav files just fine, but will not play mp3s. I checked
back with the code i used in my past programs, tried the programs and i get
the same problem: the MMControl no longer plays .mp3 files. What's the deal?
From: Rencie on
MikeD,

You're right, I'm going to use this to upgrade ny knowledge in playing a
sound. I understand that sndPlaySound is not capable of playing MIDI files.
I'm learning new things from you guys. Thanks

From: Rencie on
Mart,

I understand. But, why and how does MMControl affect performance?
What is it got to do with Activemovie?
From: Martin Walke on
Rencie,

It's purely the performance of the multimedia subsystem - not of the actual
program, except where you call the mm subsystem. We found that when using
the MCI control there was a noticeable delay when loading the mm file into
the control probably based on the buffering settings.

The ActiveMovie OCX control (totally seperate control and was supplied with,
I think, version 4 of Media Player and subsequent later ones) *seemed* to
be better. It probably accesses the mm subsystem at a lower level as does
mciSendString and therefore appears to be more effecient.

Basically, as far as I know, and someone correct me here, the MCI32.ocx
(mmControl) talks via the MCI subsystem to the mm subsystem in order to play
files. So using mciSendString means you're already one level into the
system. ActiveMovie uses a different interface to access the mm subsystem
but at a level akin to the mciSendString but with a better UI.

ActiveMovie can also be used to play .wav's, .mpg's, .avi's, .mp3's and of
course .mid's so it was more generic as well. DirectShow comes into the
picture at some stage. ActiveMovie became DirectShow which was M$'s
multimedia architecture and part of DirectX.

Martin

"Rencie" <Rencie(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mart,
>
> I understand. But, why and how does MMControl affect performance?
> What is it got to do with Activemovie?

Pages: 1
Prev: MMControl
Next: Memory Full Error VB 6