From: Tom Roberts on
glird wrote:
> Since time dilation and mass variance (in grams) have been
> experimentally verified, they DO pertain to physical realities.

One must define the terms MUCH more carefully.

In SR, "time dilation" and "mass variance" do not affect the object ITSELF, they
are artifacts of measuring a moving object.

And we no longer say "mass variance", we call the quantity
that varies "energy", not "mass".

When you rotate a ladder to get through a narrow doorway, you do not affect the
ladder itself, but the rotation has physical consequences. Similarly in SR,
relative velocity is an analogous rotation that does not affect the object
itself, but has physical consequences.

> Einstein wrote, "It is essential to have time defined by means of
> stationary clocks in the stationary system, and the time now defined
> being appropriate to the stationary system we call it `the time of the
> stationary system'."
> He was, as usual, rightly wrong.
> (Though he was right in that only a stationary esynched system would
> have synchronous clocks, he was wrong about it being "essential that
> etc." Indeed, since there is no such thing in the universe as a
> stationary system, his Special Theory, as he said in his general
> theory, is restricted to a hypothetical point.

You did not read his paper carefully enough. He EXPLICITLY said that he was
using the term "stationary system" as a LABEL, to distinguish it from other
inertial systems. It is a label that can apply to ANY inertial frame (see the
first paragraph of I.1 of Einstein's 1905 paper "Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter
K�rper"). In SR there is no need for any stationary system in YOUR sense -- you
applied a PUN and read more into his word choice than is actually there.

> [... too much nonsense for me to bother with]

Tom Roberts
From: Koobee Wublee on
On Aug 4, 8:27 pm, Tom Roberts wrote:
> glird wrote:

> > Since time dilation and mass variance (in grams) have been
> > experimentally verified, they DO pertain to physical realities.
>
> One must define the terms MUCH more carefully.

Who gives a damn? <shrug>

> In SR, "time dilation" and "mass variance" do not affect the object ITSELF, they
> are artifacts of measuring a moving object.

They are merely observer-dependent quantities. <shrug>

> And we no longer say "mass variance", we call the quantity
> that varies "energy", not "mass".

Both invariant and observer-dependent masses of the same object can
lead to the same conclusions. However, the concept of observer-
dependent mass is more elegantly put and modeled. You can create any
mathematical models you want to describe the physical action. This
can be seen in the geodesic equation in the interest of the temporal
dimension. <shrug>

> When you rotate a ladder to get through a narrow doorway, you do not affect the
> ladder itself, but the rotation has physical consequences.

What physical consequence are you referring to?

> Similarly in SR,
> relative velocity is an analogous rotation that does not affect the object
> itself, but has physical consequences.

There is no need to confuse yourself. You can introduce a
mathematical model describing any phenomena with speed-dependent
variables. <shrug>

> > Einstein wrote, "..."
>
> You did not read his paper carefully enough.

Einstein was a nitwit, a plagiarist, and a liar. Despite these
undesirable physical traits, there seem to be quite a few "zombies"
who would worship this nitwit to the very end. <shrug>

> He EXPLICITLY said that he was
> using the term "stationary system" as a LABEL, to distinguish it from other
> inertial systems. It is a label that can apply to ANY inertial frame (see the
> first paragraph of I.1 of Einstein's 1905 paper "Zur Elektrodynamik bewegter
> Körper"). In SR there is no need for any stationary system in YOUR sense -- you
> applied a PUN and read more into his word choice than is actually there.

Failed at any mathematical arguments, the self-styled physicists would
resort to mundane words that put in capitalized form or quotes would
give divine meanings to justify the non-merit (rather stupid cultish)
worshipping of a nitwit, a plagiarist, and a liar, namely Einstein the
nitwit, the plagiarist, and the liar. <shrug>
From: PD on
On Aug 5, 1:43 am, Koobee Wublee <koobee.wub...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 8:27 pm, Tom Roberts wrote:
>
> > glird wrote:
> > >  Since time dilation and mass variance (in grams) have been
> > > experimentally verified, they DO pertain to physical realities.
>
> > One must define the terms MUCH more carefully.
>
> Who gives a damn?  <shrug>
>
> > In SR, "time dilation" and "mass variance" do not affect the object ITSELF, they
> > are artifacts of measuring a moving object.
>
> They are merely observer-dependent quantities.  <shrug>

Yes, indeed. Lots of important physical properties in physics are
"merely observer-dependent quantities". Kinetic energy and momentum,
for instance, both of which play a key role in conservation laws that
are considered central to physics.

From: Tom Roberts on
PD wrote:
> Lots of important physical properties in physics are
> "merely observer-dependent quantities". Kinetic energy and momentum,
> for instance, both of which play a key role in conservation laws that
> are considered central to physics.

I disagree. Kinetic energy and (3-)momentum are not involved in any important
conservation laws. Both are merely related to parts of the actual law:
conservation of 4-momentum. Note that this law is not observer dependent; nor is
it frame or coordinate dependent. Note also that the context here is SR (not GR).

For instance, to get conservation of 3-momentum one must project
the conservation law for 4-momentum onto an inertial frame.

Nature uses no observers, so valid models of physics must not use observers, or
at least be independent of observer.

Tom Roberts
From: oriel36 on
On Aug 5, 4:12 am, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> harald wrote:
> > as you should know, SRT does NOT make any claims about
> > physical reality.
>
> SR is a MODEL of physical reality within a specified domain. Within that domain
> it is an accurate description of physical phenomena.
>
> Modern physics makes no "claims about physical reality", but instead MODELS it.
> That is, there is no expectation that the mechanisms in the model are "what
> nature actually uses"; it is only claimed that the model gives accurate results
> within its domain.
>
> > Most of our disagreements are about physical
> > reality, and now you pretend that you make no claims about it.
>
> You actually have no idea whatsoever about what "physical reality" is, either.
> All you have are mental MODELS you think are appropriate. We differ in the
> MODELS we use. Mine (SR) has the advantage of extensive experimental support in
> its domain; I have no idea what model(s) you are trying to use.
>

> Tom Roberts

Isaac would have probably tried to strangle you for making this much
fuss over modelling and as usual it was nothing like he intended.The
idea of chopping orbits into little bits and then reassembling them to
create a complete orbit using differential equations seems to have
allowed investigators to model planetary dynamics directly from
observations as though it were an extension of experimental
sciences.It was an elaborate scheme by any measure that was far too
clever for his followers to trace his reasoning which is why we have
all this absolute this and relative that in these forums when Newton's
intentions were far more realistic,they may be wrong and distortions
of the original astronomical methods and insights,but at least they
are understandable in fairly short order.

Here is Newton's idea of relative space and motion -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Kepler_Mars_retrograde.jpg

Here is Isaac's idea of absolute space and motion -

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Kepler_Mars_retrograde.jpg

Hence -

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct,
sometimes stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun
they are always seen direct.." Newton

I have news for each and every one of you who wish to traffic in
absolute/relative space,motion and what have you,retrogrades are an
illusion due to the direct motion of the Earth around the Sun hence
Newton's idiosyncratic take on the main argument for the Earth's
orbital motion in terms of creating a hypothetical absolute space and
motion are illegal for want of a better word,maybe plain wrong is a
closer and more accurate description.