From: Da Do Ron Ron on
In my prior thread "How can the MMx math be corrected?"
On May 19, 9:42 pm, Tom Roberts <tjrob...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Da Do Ron Ron wrote:
>> Why not just say that different observer's get different "lengths"
>> for a "moving" rod because their absolutely asynchronous clocks
>> cannot pin down or locate the rod's end points truly simultaneously?

> We don't say that, because it is just plain wrong.

A rather ambiguous reply, but I assume that you are claiming that
inertial observers *can* locate a passing rod's endpoints truly or
absolutely simultaneously. Would you mind telling us how this is
done?

~RA~
From: artful on
On Jul 21, 4:20 am, Da Do Ron Ron <ron_ai...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> In my prior thread "How can the MMx math be corrected?"
> On May 19, 9:42 pm, Tom Roberts <tjrob...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Da Do Ron Ron wrote:
>
> >> Why not just say that different observer's get different "lengths"
> >> for a "moving" rod because their absolutely asynchronous clocks

absolutely *A*synchronous? What a useless notion.

> >> cannot pin down or locate the rod's end points truly simultaneously?

There is no "truly" (ie not frame dependent) simultaneity

> > We don't say that, because it is just plain wrong.
>
> A rather ambiguous reply,

It seemed very clear to me. You were just plain wrong.

> but I assume that you are claiming that
> inertial observers *can* locate a passing rod's endpoints

Yes they can .. using their synchronised clocks

> truly or
> absolutely simultaneously.

There is no true absolute simultaneity.

> Would you mind telling us how this is
> done?

It isn't .. because there is no true absolute simultaneity
From: Tom Roberts on
Da Do Ron Ron wrote:
> In my prior thread "How can the MMx math be corrected?"
> On May 19, 9:42 pm, Tom Roberts <tjrob...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Da Do Ron Ron wrote:
>>> Why not just say that different observer's get different "lengths"
>>> for a "moving" rod because their absolutely asynchronous clocks
>>> cannot pin down or locate the rod's end points truly simultaneously?
>
>> We don't say that, because it is just plain wrong.
>
> A rather ambiguous reply, but I assume that you are claiming that
> inertial observers *can* locate a passing rod's endpoints truly or
> absolutely simultaneously. Would you mind telling us how this is
> done?

Since you omitted the context, I cannot definitively point to my discussion. But
in that post you quoted, or in its context, I surely mentioned that I was
discussing SR. In SR your claims are indeed just plain wrong. Since you
obviously do not understand SR, your "assumption" about what I meant is also
just plain wrong.

For instance, in SR an inertial observer can indeed "pin down or
locate the rod's end points truly simultaneously". This is of
course also true in the world we inhabit. "Being simultaneous"
depends on which frame is used, which is why it has no aspect of
being "absolute". But an observer can indeed determine whether
two events are "truly simultaneous" in her frame; we do it all
the time in our everyday lives, and metrologists do it all the
time with vastly better accuracy (they call it synchronizing
clocks).

Indeed, without any definition of "absolute synchronization" your statement is
meaningless (of course you really need to make a definitive statement, not that
word salad above). If you try to state such a definition, be sure it actually
corresponds to the world we inhabit. Note that zillions of measurements show
that is not possible.

Tom Roberts
From: blackhead on
On 20 July, 19:20, Da Do Ron Ron <ron_ai...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> In my prior thread "How can the MMx math be corrected?"
> On May 19, 9:42 pm, Tom Roberts <tjrob...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> Da Do Ron Ron wrote:
>
> >> Why not just say that different observer's get different "lengths"
> >> for a "moving" rod because their absolutely asynchronous clocks
> >> cannot pin down or locate the rod's end points truly simultaneously?
> > We don't say that, because it is just plain wrong.
>
> A rather ambiguous reply, but I assume that you are claiming that
> inertial observers *can* locate a passing rod's endpoints truly or
> absolutely simultaneously. Would you mind telling us how this is
> done?
>
> ~RA~

Why the obsession with an experiment from 1887, when it's 2010?

Seriously, save yourself time by picking a few modern experiments
from:

What is the experimental basis of Special Relativity
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/mirrors/physicsfaq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

You should be able to get the papers from your local library.

The MMX is open to all sorts of interpretations depending on what
theory you want to promote and you could spend years, if not a
lifetime stuck with the mindset of someone in the late 1800s, early
1900s.
From: Da Do Ron Ron on
[Tom's "out-of-context" complaint is silly - the prior thread was
fully cited]

On Jul 20, 9:49 pm, Tom Roberts <tjroberts...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Indeed, without any definition of "absolute synchronization" your
> statement is meaningless (of course you really need to make a definitive
> statement, not that word salad above). If you try to state such a
> definition, be sure it actually corresponds to the world we inhabit.
> Note that zillions of measurements show that is not possible.

First of all, no definition of absolute synchronization is needed in
this
case; second, I do have such a definition, and it definitely
"corresponds
to the world we inhabit"; third, since, as you should well know, it is
not
possible to prove a negative, *no* experiment, much less zillions of
them,
can "show that it is not possible."

> "Being simultaneous" depends on which frame is used, which is
> why it has no aspect of being "absolute".

So we agree that SR does not have absolute simultaneity or
synchronization.

Can we now agree that a correct measurement of the length of a
passing
rod requires absolute synchronization?

~RA~