From: AJ on
Hi All

We have a client who wants us to host a MOSS environment for them on a
single server (money is tight < 60 users and 2GB disk). There are no
plans to utilise Enterprise features

I'm looking for some configuration options and comments in regard to
the options below.

I was thinking we have several options here:

-Basic Install of MOSS on a Domain Controller - read there are certain
issues that may be encountered, although not found anything other than
the license issues.

-Basic Install of MOSS on a single server in Workgroup mode - What
features do we loose in workgroup mode as opposed to AD authentication

- Deploy Hyper-V on the physical machine and run 2 VMs on the server -
one domain controller and one MOSS basic install.

I'd appreaciate some comments in regard to these options.

Many thanks as per usual

AJ

From: Wahid Saleemi on
On Sep 19, 8:55 am, AJ <andyjone...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We have a client who wants us to host a MOSS environment for them on a
> single server (money is tight < 60 users and 2GB disk). There are no
> plans to utilise Enterprise features
>
> I'm looking for some configuration options and comments in regard to
> the options below.
>
> I was thinking we have several options here:
>
> -Basic Install of MOSS on a Domain Controller - read there are certain
> issues that may be encountered, although not found anything other than
> the license issues.
>
> -Basic Install of MOSS on a single server in Workgroup mode - What
> features do we loose in workgroup mode as opposed to AD authentication
>
> - Deploy Hyper-V on the physical machine and run 2 VMs on the server -
> one domain controller and one MOSS basic install.
>
> I'd appreaciate some comments in regard to these options.
>
> Many thanks as per usual
>
> AJ

I've tried installing MOSS on a Domain Controller and will never
attempt it again. It was a waste of time, there are a lot of issues
you will encounter. With the low number of users you're suggesting,
Hyper-V looks like a good fit. If you can't do that, you could do a
basic install of MOSS on a single server and join that server to the
domain. Why would you do workgroup mode?

Having MOSS in the domain means users don't need to remember another
login and it will integrate more tightly with the Office apps.
From: Hulicat on
If money is tight then spend money on hardware and use WSS 3.0 for
free.

Last time I checked MOSS is pricey especially if you're not going to
leverage any of the Ent features.

"2GB", "install on a DC".......I wouldn't.