From: Janaka Sampath on
Hi

my RID master says that rid pool is empty. actualy this RID master stop
responding some time back. but I was able to create new accounts using
existing pool. at the moment its giving the messeage that pool is empty. how
can I create a new RID master in my existing domain controler without
demoting the domain.

thank you
Janaka

From: Paul Bergson on
Here is what we did but of course it is not published or supported. It is
what I would do given the same circumstances again though. There is a file
that is a needed, lookupdomaininfo.exe that could help in this situation. I
could possibly mail to you if you want it. Microsoft gave us this solution
it just isn't published.

1. Open a command prompt, type

"C:\> lookupdomaininfo.exe <NETBIOS NAME OF DOMAIN>"

(without the quotation marks), and then press "Enter" (without the
quotation

marks).

C:\>lookupdomaininfo.exe 2000domain.local

Domain 2000domain.local sid S-1-5-21-3876887770-3197127548-3224736908

binary domain sid has been put in domainsid.bin

2. Use LDP.EXE from the \Support\Tools directory of the Windows 2000
Server CDROM

to invalidate the RID Pool.

a. From the CONNECTION pull down menu, select the CONNECT command.
Enter the name

of the domain controller whose RID pool is to be invalidated.

Use port 389 for the connection.

b. From the CONNECTION pull down menu, select the BIND command. Enter
the account

and password for a domain administrator in the target domain

c. From the BROWSE command, select Modify.

d. Fill out the remainder of the MODIFY dialog as follows

1. DN: <Null>

2. Attribute: InvalidateRidPool

3. Values: Use the "Insert File" command point to the domainsid.bin
file created in

Step 2.

3. Press the "Enter" button to populate the "Entry List" command.

4. Press the "RUN" button.

5. Monitor event viewer.

a. After invalidating the RID pool, create a new user, computer or
group in the

"Active Directory Users and Computers" snap-in. The create may fail but will

initiate a request for a new RID pool.

From: Janaka Sampath on
Thanks

If you could send me this lookupdomaininfo.exe tool ASAP

Thanks
janaka

From: Paul Bergson on
In the mail

From: Jorge de Almeida Pinto [MVP] on
Paul,

Could you mail that util to me please?

Thanks!

--

Cheers,
(HOPEFULLY THIS INFORMATION HELPS YOU!)

> Here is what we did but of course it is not published or supported. It is
> what I would do given the same circumstances again though. There is a file
> that is a needed, lookupdomaininfo.exe that could help in this situation.
> I could possibly mail to you if you want it. Microsoft gave us this
> solution it just isn't published.
>

> 1. Open a command prompt, type
>
> "C:\> lookupdomaininfo.exe <NETBIOS NAME OF DOMAIN>"
>
> (without the quotation marks), and then press "Enter" (without the
> quotation
>
> marks).
>

> C:\>lookupdomaininfo.exe 2000domain.local
>
> Domain 2000domain.local sid S-1-5-21-3876887770-3197127548-3224736908
>
> binary domain sid has been put in domainsid.bin
>

> 2. Use LDP.EXE from the \Support\Tools directory of the Windows
> 2000 Server CDROM
>
> to invalidate the RID Pool.
>

> a. From the CONNECTION pull down menu, select the CONNECT command.
> Enter the name
>
> of the domain controller whose RID pool is to be invalidated.
>
> Use port 389 for the connection.
>

> b. From the CONNECTION pull down menu, select the BIND command.
> Enter the account
>
> and password for a domain administrator in the target domain
>

> c. From the BROWSE command, select Modify.
>

> d. Fill out the remainder of the MODIFY dialog as follows
>

> 1. DN: <Null>
>

> 2. Attribute: InvalidateRidPool
>

> 3. Values: Use the "Insert File" command point to the domainsid.bin
> file created in
>
> Step 2.
>

> 3. Press the "Enter" button to populate the "Entry List" command.
>

> 4. Press the "RUN" button.
>

> 5. Monitor event viewer.
>
> a. After invalidating the RID pool, create a new user, computer or
> group in the
>
> "Active Directory Users and Computers" snap-in. The create may fail but
> will
>
> initiate a request for a new RID pool.
>

> --
>

> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
>

> "Janaka Sampath" <janakaj(a)lankaequities.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> my RID master says that rid pool is empty. actualy this RID master stop
>> responding some time back. but I was able to create new accounts using
>> existing pool. at the moment its giving the messeage that pool is empty.
>> how
>> can I create a new RID master in my existing domain controler without
>> demoting the domain.
>>
>> thank you
>> Janaka
>>

 |  Next  |  Last