From: Netty on
Does anybody know of an alternative program (preferably freeware/shareware
etc) that is like 'MP3 Resizer' that will squash the size of my mp3's
without losing too much quality?

Netty

From: ng-user on
an mp3 is ( i think) already the smallest size you can have without losing
to much sound quality. goin below this size will be midi file, wich is used
to put on website or cell phones) but that will sound very crappy. however
if you want to make you sound shorter ( not compressed), you can edit it
with sound forge or wave lab without losing any quality. if you still want
it smaller then an mp3. try search mp3 converter or song resizer.

i found this link on from a forum that might be helpfull for you topic
http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/archive/index.php/t-28554.html
"Netty" <netty@???.com> a ýcrit dans le message de news:
dbmb6m$vtd$1(a)newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...

From: Netty on
Thanks for the link. Have been using MP3 resizer but have come to the end of
the trial and can't afford to upgrade to full version at moment. Pretty neat
program though if you want more music on your mobile.

Netty

From: Richard Steinfeld on
ng-user wrote:
> an mp3 is ( i think) already the smallest size you can have without losing
> to much sound quality. goin below this size will be midi file, wich is used
> to put on website or cell phones) but that will sound very crappy. however
> if you want to make you sound shorter ( not compressed), you can edit it
> with sound forge or wave lab without losing any quality. if you still want
> it smaller then an mp3. try search mp3 converter or song resizer.

Let me explain.
MP3 is a lossy compression method that can compress audio to different
degrees of quality. The more compression that's selected, the greater
the loss of sonic accuracy. MP3 is not the "smallest" nor the "largest."
You choose the quality/compression that you want. This adjustable
compression is also a feature available to the creators of Real media
files. Both of these formats are proprietary. I just bought an MP3
player that lets me record from a built-in microphone or from a standard
audio line input -- each with my choice of MP3 compression. This ability
is probably quite common. However, Real encoding is not widely available.

MIDI is not sound at all. MIDI is a standard that is used to control
sounds. A MIDI file engages a selected repertoire of sounds that are
available on the controlled instrument. This instrument is often simply
the sound files on a computer. It can also be used to control
instruments that are set up with MIDI interfaces. These instruments tend
to be electronic, such as synthesizers.

MP3 doesn't sound wonderful or crappy. However, the sonic library
available on the device that the music is played through may be horrible
-- and I admit that I detest the sound of cell phone "music" and have to
restrain myself from ripping the damn phone away and smashing it on the
spot.

Richard
From: km on
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 21:12:13 +0100, "Netty" <netty@???.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know of an alternative program (preferably freeware/shareware
>etc) that is like 'MP3 Resizer' that will squash the size of my mp3's
>without losing too much quality?
>
>Netty

Musicmatch (version 5 does this not sure about later) has a file
conversion option. This allows an mp3 file to be turned into a WAV
file and you can then reconvert to mp3 but choose a smaller bps. So
for example an original mp3 file with 256kbps could be turned into one
with 128kbps and even lower. Bear in mind that lower than 128 will
start to noticably deteriorate unless it is a "spoken" track.

KM