From: Jeff on
I am building my nephew a computer. All new except the HDD, which is only
going to be 6 GB. I am using that because I had it laying around and am
trying to go cheap althought the processor is 2.7 Mhz and 512MB Ram so it
will be enought for any type software I might want to add. A question to the
group. If you had only 6 GB on your HD, what software would you install.
Interested in as much as possible with of course leaving plenty of buffer
space. So far I have decided to load:

Windows XP Home (I have an unregistered copy from another desktop I bought
from Emachines) for the OS.
Zone Alarm for the firewall
One of the freeware anti-virus programs (Recomendations please?)
Ad-Aware and Spyware Killer
I am thinking of using an unopened unregistered MS Works from 2002, (What
would you recomend for freeware MS Office compatible apps?)
Belarc Advisor (Just because)

What else would you install (Freeware) if this were your computer?

Thanks

From: *ProteanThread* on
stick with no installs or portable software if possible.

extend the size by getting a USB drive to store his documents on.

but thats just my opinion.

From: mike555 on
Jeff wrote:
> I am building my nephew a computer.------- snip------
>
> What else would you install (Freeware) if this were your computer?

==== forget works, I would use a simple editor, like textshield ...
and I have a few other suggestions at my little web site...
www.nonags.org/members/mike555/ =======

From: filthy-mcnasty on
Using at least one appendage, the entity known in this space-time
continuum as "Jeff" <catfisherman62(a)123yahoo.com> revealed in

> What else would you install (Freeware) if this were your computer?

Don't mean to discourage you, but I just ran a "Dir/s" on my Windows XP
Pro Folder:

Total for: C:\WINDOWS\*
5,696,331,504 bytes in 20,779 files and 3,725 dirs 5,737,340,928
bytes allocated

I know that other apps have dumped their own quota of stuff in the
System32 folder, but still .....

And I NEVER install anything to "C:\Program Files". That goes onto a
separate dedicated partition. But:

Total for: C:\Program Files\*
992,717,592 bytes in 6,964 files and 2,246 dirs 1,010,147,328
bytes allocated

Granted the odd app will go right ahead and dump stuff into the "Common
Files" subfolder, or some similar subfolder

And that does NOT include the SwapFile, Temp or Internet Cache. Again on
a separate Temp partition

If I were you, I'd scale your plans down to the likes of Windows ME,
which nobody seems to like much. Or, better I reckon, Windows 98. Then
come back and ask again

Sorry, but I don't think you'll get better advice, even if you go for a
minimalist Windows XP installation

Best of luck

--
Will Cornish of Cardigan, UK - No nastier than you; No filthier than
usual

To EMail Remove Anti-Spam Spaces: filthy-mcnasty @
btconnect.com
From: laurent.herve23 on
Zone Alarm has the (bad) habit to create HUGE log files,
it can grow up to 50 Mo after a while. I prefer Tiny personal
firewall. Can't remember the name of that logfile...

maybe "internet.log" So maybe zone alarm improved
since last time :)

Lh

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: MP3 Resizer
Next: [Update] SyncBack Freeware v3.2.8.500