From: MrSoftware on
I thought I should post what may be errors in a MS KB (MicroSoft
KnowledgeBase) article to fix WU (Windows Update).

//-----------Background : I tried to fix my problem

I can not access the MS WU (Windows Update) website without getting a blank
page.

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

So I tried the fix in KB 971058 which as four different ways to fix the
problem.

I tried them all (All four 'fixes' - as enumerated below) without success.

Note below - I call 1.a and 1.b 'lobotomies' for the sake of brevity herein.

[1] MS KB 971058 has 4 'fixes' as follows.

(a) FixIt 50202 - Mode default
(b) FixIt 50202 - Mode agressive
(c) WU minor lobotomy - Without 'step 4'
(d) WU major lobotomy - With 'step 4' (reset BITS and WUAU security
descriptors)

[2] I tryed 1.a and 1.b previously - both failed.

[3] I tryed 1.c and 1.d which both failed (with some anomalies as follows.)

In doing this I found (what appear to be) errors in the KB 971058

//-----------Errors : The document seems incorrect in the following

Error_01 : Step 4.a - SVCHOST.EXE prevents CatRoot2 rename via locked files
(a) tmp.edb and (b) edb.log

Error_02 : Step 4.b - Resetting service security descriptors prevents their
activation in step 9.

Error_03 : Step 6.0 - regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll : MSHTML.DLL has no
registration point (lacks DllRegisterServer)

Error_04 : Step 7.0 - NETSH has no 'reset' command as in 'netsh reset
winsock'

Error_05 : Step 9.0 - services now have a 'different' security descriptor
and can not be accessed.

//-----------Failures : I also had other 'runtime' errors in fix 1.d above

Failure_01 : Step 6.0 - Registration of QMGR.DLL failed - Return code was
0x80070431

Failure_02 : Step 6.0 - Registration of WUAUENG.DLL failed - Return code was
0x80070005

Failure_03 : Step 9.0 - Service restart failure : Access denied

//-----------My System :

OS-------: Windows XP - Version: 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3
Browser--: IE (Internet Explorer) - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001
AntiVir--: Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
Firewall-: MS Firewall

Microsoft Security Essentials Version: 1.0.1961.0
Antimalware Client Version: 2.1.6519.0
Engine Version: 1.1.5605.0
Antivirus definitions: 1.79.953.0
Antispyware definitions: 1.79.953.0

//-----------Help!!! :

Error_02 above caused me to reset my system back to a previous restore point
to reset the security descriptors.

DEFINITELY NOT THE THING TO DO (Step 4.a).

If anyone has an idea of how I could be doing something wrong please let me
know.

If not, hopefully MS (MicroSoft) can verify wheater or not the KB 971058
article has errors.

From: MowGreen on
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Scroll all the way to the bottom of the above page.
See where it states " Provide feedback on this information " ?

Do so and let MS know why you think that the Fixit information is
incorrect and that it failed to resolve the updating issue on your XP
SP3 system.

Some questions:

1) What was the installed antivirus/security suite prior to the
installation of MSE ?

2) When the previous security software (AV/Sec suite) was uninstalled
did you run a removal tool to ensure that all remnants of were no longer
present ?

3) Have you tried downloading the Fixit, saving it, then configuring XP
to Clean Boot, and then run the Fixit in it's Aggressive mode ?

4) When IE 8 was installed, what was the installed AV/Sec suite and was
it actively monitoring the system with real time protection, shields, or
services ?

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
@Mow: See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/a675d04e6bef024f,
especially/primarily #11, #12, & #13.
--
~BroBear

From: MowGreen on
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> @Mow: See
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/a675d04e6bef024f,
> especially/primarily #11, #12, & #13.

Since I can't access the MSKB today ... I withdraw any previous suggestions.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Make that:

See
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/a675d04e6bef024f

Especially/primarily posts #11, #12, & #13.