From: John H Meyers on
Someone in my office has just had precisely the same experience
as in the two reports below, where, on XP Pro/SP3,
following an update of MS Office from "2000" to "2003,"
Outlook Express is never again functional,
first complaining upon every launch
"Unable to open the Address Book,
The Address book may not be installed properly"
and then also unable to create any outgoing message
(whether new or a reply), always declaring
"There was an error opening this message. An error has occurred."

The following previous reports of identical incidents
failed to produce any solution for OE, nor have I been able,
after as much searching as I'm capable of imagining to try,
to find any solution mentioned anywhere else.

Identical previous reports:

"Install of Office 2003 Pro killed Outlook Express" [Jan. 2004]
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.office.setup/msg/1dc5f9c6bf0f975a

"Can't create message in Outlook Express" [Feb. 2006]
(after upgrading MS Office from 2000 to 2003)
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/55096/

Since this problem seems to involve three things: XP, OE, and Office,
should I also try other newsgroups (which?)

Thanks!

From: John H Meyers on
On 6/16/2010 12:58 PM:

> Wow..posts from 2004 and 2006.

Office 2003 has evidently not reformed itself
to stop causing the same trouble as always.

Now, do you have any useful information?

From: Don Phillipson on
"John H Meyers" <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in message

> Someone in my office has just had precisely the same experience
> as in the two reports below, where, on XP Pro/SP3,
> following an update of MS Office from "2000" to "2003,"
> Outlook Express is never again functional,
> first complaining upon every launch
> "Unable to open the Address Book,
> The Address book may not be installed properly"
> and then also unable to create any outgoing message

A solution worth trying is System Restore, to turn the
calendar back to a date prior to the update of MS Office.
The Office software will remain unchanged, although you
might lose any Shortcuts/Hotkeys configured since the
update; WAB (address book) and OE ought by this
System Restore to be reconfigured as formerly i.e. in
good working order.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Peter Foldes on
If you think a bit then you would realize that Windows 2000 came with OE5 and IE5.
Of course if you do not know the Update that you are installing and which you never
mentioned then obviously this issue will happen if you already had OE5 updated to
OE6

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> On 6/16/2010 12:58 PM:
>
>> Wow..posts from 2004 and 2006.
>
> Office 2003 has evidently not reformed itself
> to stop causing the same trouble as always.
>
> Now, do you have any useful information?
>
> --

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Netmeeting in an RDP session