From: Nobody on
FYI. The general discussion group hasn't been removed yet.

411 no such newsgroup

Configuration:
Account: msnews.microsoft.com
Server: msnews.microsoft.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Error Number: 411
Code: 800ccca5

From: Bruce Bowler on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:43:27 -0400, Nobody set fingers to keyboard and
typed:

> FYI. The general discussion group hasn't been removed yet.

> 411 no such newsgroup
>
> Configuration:
> Account: msnews.microsoft.com
> Server: msnews.microsoft.com
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> Secure(SSL): 0
> Error Number: 411
> Code: 800ccca5

No, mycrosoft pulled their news servers off line, they have yet to
succeed in killing the newsgroup (which is pretty fully decentralized).

Using other servers (I use individual.net, I've seen reports from cox.net
and giganews) it, and all the other MS groups, are still here...

Bruce

--
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

Bruce Bowler | GUI's normally make it complex to accomplish simple

+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

From: Thorsten Albers on
Bruce Bowler <bbowler(a)bigelow.org> schrieb im Beitrag
<86si9jF8aaU1(a)mid.individual.net>...
> No, mycrosoft pulled their news servers off line, they have yet to
> succeed in killing the newsgroup (which is pretty fully decentralized).

At least yesterday evening their server was still online, only some groups
have been removed. AFAIK not all groups will be closed in june 2010, some
will be closed later.

--
Thorsten Albers

albers (a) uni-freiburg.de

From: Dee Earley on
On 04/06/2010 15:52, Bruce Bowler wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 08:43:27 -0400, Nobody set fingers to keyboard and
> typed:
>
>> FYI. The general discussion group hasn't been removed yet.

>> 411 no such newsgroup
>>
>> Configuration:
>> Account: msnews.microsoft.com
>> Server: msnews.microsoft.com
>> Protocol: NNTP
>> Port: 119
>> Secure(SSL): 0
>> Error Number: 411
>> Code: 800ccca5
>
> No, mycrosoft pulled their news servers off line, they have yet to
> succeed in killing the newsgroup (which is pretty fully decentralized).

Wrong, the servers are still online (see my headers) but the groups have
been removed (from just their servers) as Nobody (still a stupid
nickname :) said.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems

Please reply to the group.)
From: Dee Earley on
On 04/06/2010 17:53, Dee Earley wrote:
> Wrong, the servers are still online (see my headers)

Well, not from that post as it's not in a microsoft.* group.. :)