From: tomcee on
On Feb 20, 11:30 am, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 10:38 am, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I am experiencing very strange behaviour with the MScomm32 control in
> > Excel 2003 VBA.
>
> > The control is registered, and I can install it in my spreadsheet, but
> > when running (via Sub Worksheet Change), it appears to execute once (I
> > have a Belkin USB/RS232 adaptor which has status and TX/RX LEDs).
>
> > On successive executions, I get error messages that the port is
> > already open (I do set the PortOpen property to False at the end of
> > each run), but if I do not execute the .portopen to true, it returns
> > an error saying the port is not open!).
>
> > I am using MSCOMM32.ocx version 7-26-95, I believe installed with my
> > VB4.
>
> > Also, I notice that when I exit Excel, the status LED on the USB/RS232
> > adaptor blinks.
>
> > It seems to me that there is some setting in the com port status that
> > I am not maintaining or Set/resetting in the correct order.
>
> > Thanks in advance for your assistance!
> >TomC
>
> > Here is my code:
> > [obviously with some commented remnants of my failed attempts.]
>
> > Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
> > MSComm1.Enabled = True
> > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > MSComm1.Activate
> > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > MSComm1.PortOpen = True
> > MSComm1.Settings = "9600,N,8,1"
> > MSComm1.Handshaking = NoHandshaking
>
> > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = True
> > MSComm1.Output = "Hello out there!"
> > MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > 'MSComm1.Delete
>
> > End Sub
>
> Fwiw:
>
> I found that my VB4 has the same issue!!!
>
> So, I installed this mscomm32.ocx:
> ===========================
> mscomm32.ocx 103744 6-24-98
>
> and registered it via:
> regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx
>
> and things seem to work fine in Excel2003 !!!
>
> It also fixed the issue in VB4!!!
>
> It appears that there was a port close issue with the older
> mscomm32.ocx that I was using!
>
> Cheers!!TomC- Hide quoted text -

So,....a few days ago, things were working fine.

Today when I try to open this excel sheet, I get an error message that
says,"Can't exit design mode because control MSCOMM1 can not be
created'.

So now I no longer can access the serial ports!!!

I've tried re-registering the control, both through Excel and from the
Run prompt.

Anyone have an idea what is going on?

Thanks in advance!
TomC
From: tomcee on
On Feb 24, 8:46 pm, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 20, 11:30 am, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 20, 10:38 am, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I am experiencing very strange behaviour with the MScomm32 control in
> > > Excel 2003 VBA.
>
> > > The control is registered, and I can install it in my spreadsheet, but
> > > when running (via Sub Worksheet Change), it appears to execute once (I
> > > have a Belkin USB/RS232 adaptor which has status and TX/RX LEDs).
>
> > > On successive executions, I get error messages that the port is
> > > already open (I do set the PortOpen property to False at the end of
> > > each run), but if I do not execute the .portopen to true, it returns
> > > an error saying the port is not open!).
>
> > > I am using MSCOMM32.ocx version 7-26-95, I believe installed with my
> > > VB4.
>
> > > Also, I notice that when I exit Excel, the status LED on the USB/RS232
> > > adaptor blinks.
>
> > > It seems to me that there is some setting in the com port status that
> > > I am not maintaining or Set/resetting in the correct order.
>
> > > Thanks in advance for your assistance!
> > >TomC
>
> > > Here is my code:
> > > [obviously with some commented remnants of my failed attempts.]
>
> > > Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
> > > MSComm1.Enabled = True
> > > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > > MSComm1.Activate
> > > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > > MSComm1.PortOpen = True
> > > MSComm1.Settings = "9600,N,8,1"
> > > MSComm1.Handshaking = NoHandshaking
>
> > > 'MSComm1.PortOpen = True
> > > MSComm1.Output = "Hello out there!"
> > > MSComm1.PortOpen = False
> > > 'MSComm1.Delete
>
> > > End Sub
>
> > Fwiw:
>
> > I found that my VB4 has the same issue!!!
>
> > So, I installed this mscomm32.ocx:
> > ===========================
> > mscomm32.ocx 103744 6-24-98
>
> > and registered it via:
> > regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx
>
> > and things seem to work fine in Excel2003 !!!
>
> > It also fixed the issue in VB4!!!
>
> > It appears that there was a port close issue with the older
> > mscomm32.ocx that I was using!
>
> > Cheers!!TomC- Hide quoted text -

> So,....a few days ago, things were working fine.
>
> Today when I try to open this excel sheet, I get an error message that
> says,"Can't exit design mode because control MSCOMM1 can not be
> created'.
>
> So now I no longer can access the serial ports!!!
>
> I've tried re-registering the control, both through Excel and from the
> Run prompt.
>
> Anyone have an idea what is going on?
>
> Thanks in advance!TomC- Hide quoted text -

I suspect some strange problem between Excel 2003 and the mscomm
contol I was using.

I'm puzzled why it had worked for a while and then would not work. Is
my registry perhaps corrupted?

Any ideas?

TIA,
tomc
From: tomcee on
On Feb 25, 9:20 pm, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 8:46 pm, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Fwiw:
>
> > > I found that my VB4 has the same issue!!!
>
> > > So, I installed this mscomm32.ocx:
> > > ===========================
> > > mscomm32.ocx 103744 6-24-98
>
> > > and registered it via:
> > > regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx
>
> > > and things seem to work fine in Excel2003 !!!
>
> > > It also fixed the issue in VB4!!!
>
> > > It appears that there was a port close issue with the older
> > > mscomm32.ocx that I was using!
>
> > > Cheers!!TomC- Hide quoted text -

> > So,....a few days ago, things were working fine.
>
> > Today when I try to open this excel sheet, I get an error message that
> > says,"Can't exit design mode because control MSCOMM1 can not be
> > created'.
>
> > So now I no longer can access the serial ports!!!
>
> > I've tried re-registering the control, both through Excel and from the
> > Run prompt.
>
> > Anyone have an idea what is going on?
>
> > Thanks in advance!TomC- Hide quoted text -

> I suspect some strange problem between Excel 2003 and the mscomm
> contol I was using.
>
> I'm puzzled why it had worked for a while and then would not work.  Is
> my registry perhaps corrupted?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA,tomc- Hide quoted text -

Any help? If I should post this in a different group, please let me
know!

Thanks,
TomC
From: tomcee on
On Feb 26, 10:42 pm, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 25, 9:20 pm, tomcee <tomcees...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > So,....a few days ago, things were working fine.
>
> > > Today when I try to open this excel sheet, I get an error message that
> > > says,"Can't exit design mode because control MSCOMM1 can not be
> > > created'.
>
> > > So now I no longer can access the serial ports!!!
>
> > > I've tried re-registering the control, both through Excel and from the
> > > Run prompt.
>
> > > Anyone have an idea what is going on?
>
> > > Thanks in advance!TomC- Hide quoted text -

> > I suspect some strange problem between Excel 2003 and the mscomm
> > contol I was using.
>
> > I'm puzzled why it had worked for a while and then would not work.  Is
> > my registry perhaps corrupted?
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> > TIA,tomc- Hide quoted text -

> Any help?  If I should post this in a different group, please let me
> know!
>
> Thanks,TomC- Hide quoted text -

Any help? Please?

TomC