From: Larry Lindstrom on
Hello Folks:

Developing on XP Pro, VS 2008 Pro. C++, Win23, no MFC.

I'm having a bad day.

I'm changing crypto libraries, so I'm writing a program to select
records from the database while decrypting with the old crypto library,
and updating them using the new crypto library.

Sounds simple enough.

After I had a clean compile on the conversion code I got this error
when attempting to run the code with the debugger(F5 key):

This application has failed to start because MSVCP90.dll
was not found.

I'm working on two other projects, so I attempted a full debug build
of each, and they ran fine.

Google pointed me toward a broken redistributable run time, but I'm
getting this error on my development machine. I shouldn't even need a
redistributable.

I did remove and re-install Visual Studio 2008. Same problem.

Searching for MSVCP90.dll reveals that I have copies of this
scattered over my system.

A search of my files show that none of my folders have a copy of
this DLL.

My app's run their executable from folders under Program Files, but
none of my app's executables share a folder with MSVCP90.dll. Norton's
Installer has a copy, but this doesn't seem to be something most apps
need to have in their .exe's folder.

I decided to rename my project and create a new project, and copy
the project's files over to the new project. Then I went through and
added all of the projects and defined all of the dependencies, and did
all of the things to create a new project that hopefully wouldn't have
this problem.

After I had a clean compile I ran the program. The problem was
still there.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Larry

From: Matti Vuori on
Larry Lindstrom <larryl_turbo(a)hotmail.com> wrote in news:i38e68$5pm$1
@news.eternal-september.org:
> I did remove and re-install Visual Studio 2008. Same problem.

I doesn't help if you reinstall the same version that lacks the file...
check that you have the latest service pack (SP).

About the runtime update see:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/6e3a4bc5-
4ead-4e4b-80bc-94efc5108558
From: Larry Lindstrom on
On 8/3/2010 12:38 AM, Matti Vuori wrote:
> Larry Lindstrom<larryl_turbo(a)hotmail.com> wrote in news:i38e68$5pm$1
> @news.eternal-september.org:
>> I did remove and re-install Visual Studio 2008. Same problem.
>
> I doesn't help if you reinstall the same version that lacks the file...
> check that you have the latest service pack (SP).
>
> About the runtime update see:
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/6e3a4bc5-
> 4ead-4e4b-80bc-94efc5108558

Thanks Matti:

After re-installing Visual Studio, I then told the installer to run
the updates.

Here is part of my copy of Visual Studios "About" information.

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Version 9.0.21022.8 RTM
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 3.5 SP1

Installed Edition: Professional

I downloaded the runtime update, it's a newer version than the one I
had.

I ran it, selected "Repair" and when it finished I re-booted.

When I attempted to run the application, I had the same error.

I then ran the update, selected "Remove" and removed the run-time.

After re-booting, I ran the update again, and installed it.

Then I did a full build of the app, ran it, and saw the same error.

There most be something about this application, because my other two
apps seem to work fine.

I appreciate your efforts to help me.

Thanks
Larry