From: Virus Guy on
I notice that the MVP's, in their wisdom, have removed this line:

------------------
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Note: the below locations are for the typical default paths, edit
as needed.

Windows Vista = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98/ME = C:\WINDOWS <--------------- removed
------------------

I guess they were running short of space on their server and needed to
find a few bytes to delete here and there.

Well done MVP's (Most Valuable Poo-heads).
From: Do Dah Zippity on
HoopleHead Alert.

:
: ------------------

From: FromTheRafters on
"Do Dah Zippity" <dodah(a)zipity.invalid> wrote in message
> HoopleHead Alert.
>
> "Virus Guy" <Virus(a)Guy.com> wrote in message
> :I notice that the MVP's, in their wisdom, have removed this line:
> :
> : ------------------
> : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> :
> : Note: the below locations are for the typical default paths, edit
> : as needed.
> :
> : Windows Vista = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
> : Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
> : Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
> : Win 98/ME = C:\WINDOWS <--------------- removed
> : ------------------
> :
> : I guess they were running short of space on their server and needed
> : find a few bytes to delete here and there.
> :
> : Well done MVP's (Most Valuable Poo-heads).

Support ended?

From: Virus Guy on
FromTheRafters wrote:

> > : Well done MVP's (Most Valuable Poo-heads).
>
> Support ended?

The hosts file is not really OS-dependent (as far as windoze goes).
Removing the line that referenced where that file goes on a win-9x/me
system took time and energy (from an editorial POV) and served no real
purpose other than to make that web page slightly less relavent to
potential readers.

If that line was never-ever on that page, I wouldn't really make a fuss.

But since it was there - why remove it? I mean, really...
From: FromTheRafters on
> FromTheRafters wrote:
>
>> > : Well done MVP's (Most Valuable Poo-heads).
>>
>> Support ended?
>
> The hosts file is not really OS-dependent (as far as windoze goes).
> Removing the line that referenced where that file goes on a win-9x/me
> system took time and energy (from an editorial POV) and served no real
> purpose other than to make that web page slightly less relavent to
> potential readers.
>
> If that line was never-ever on that page, I wouldn't really make a
> fuss.
>
> But since it was there - why remove it? I mean, really...

I liked the idea that they needed the space, too funny.