From: Ron Shepard on
In article <1jdjzgb.1s6cg1plr8rpuN%wclodius(a)lost-alamos.pet>,
wclodius(a)lost-alamos.pet (William Clodius) wrote:

> Later versions of gcc, which come with
> gfortran, are available through MacPorts, http://www.macports.org/.

You can find some more information about fortran, and scientific
programming in general, on MacOSX at http://hpc.sourceforge.net.

I use gfortran on MacOSX installed through the fink package manager.
More information can be found at http://www.finkproject.org. The latest
version of gfortran that can be installed (right now) is with the command

fink install gcc44

Simple as that. fink keeps track of all the necessary libraries, shared
libraries, and so on.

The intel compiler ifort on MacOSX might be free for your purposes - I
have not kept up with that, so I don't know the details. The ABSOFT
fortran compiler is also available for MacOSX, but it is commercial.

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: William Clodius on
Richard Maine <nospam(a)see.signature> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Might be that the g95 install included whatever gcc stuff was needed.
> Sort of looks like that, in fact. But I didn't dig in detail. I just
> note that I did not need to separately install anything else (except for
> the normal XCode stuff.)

So I was wrong about g95. Good I'll keep that in mind.

--
Bill Clodius
los the lost and net the pet to email
From: George White on
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010, Grue6502 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Fortran and am wondering if their are any compilers for
> Mac OS X? I know specifics on my intended use would be wanted by any
> answerers, but I have none. Basically I've read that it still beats
> the other languages for number crunching, which caught my interest.
> Therefore I'm just looking for a compiler so I can play around with
> Fortran to see if I like the language. My previous experiences with
> programming are Java, C, and a little assembly. I've done some
> examination of the syntax and I like what I see. However, one can't
> know if they really like using a language until they, well...use it.
> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know anyone who really likes Fortran as a language -- what we like
is the vast body of existing code that runs will enough so we can get
things done rather than spending all our time raising money for ever
faster computers.

As others have noted, Apple has objections to gcc licenses. The latest
version of Xcode has llvm-gcc hidden in the Devloper tree, but they don't
provide the fortran front-end. There is a project to use gcc-4.5 as an
LLVM front-end called DragonEgg which supports gfortran. I suspect this
won't be endorsed by either Apple or FSF. It might be the worst of both
worlds or better than either camp's own product.

There are a number of fortran compiler binaries available from various web
sites, but the quality is very uneven. My programs tend to go faster when
compiled as 64-bit binaries, but not all compiler binaries support
generating 64-bit code, and there have been annoying differences in the
32-bit and 64-bit Fortran runtimes. Those differences (at least the ones
that were bothering me) seem to have gone away with gcc45, so at present
I'm using the Macports gcc45 with gfortran.

--
George White <aa056(a)chebucto.ns.ca> <gnw3(a)acm.org>
189 Parklea Dr., Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia B3Z 2G6
From: Richard Maine on
George White <aa056(a)chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> I don't know anyone who really likes Fortran as a language

Then you don't know me, or quite a lot of other people who I know. Guess
we run in different circles.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Ron Shepard on
In article <Pine.GSO.4.64.1002122110570.28156(a)halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,
George White <aa056(a)chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:

> I don't know anyone who really likes Fortran as a language [...]

I think what you say might be true for f77 and earlier. Those language
versions were mostly tolerated in order to get things done. But I think
f90 and later are qualitatively different in that respect. I actually
enjoy programming with "modern" fortran.

$.02 -Ron Shepard