From: ralf.schaa on
I am thinking of developing a GUI (including OpenGL) for a Fortran
program - specifically I think of using Java for this task, given the
platform independence. Now, I do not know Java or C/C++ and older
threads recommend a simple way by communicating through text files ...
more fancy ways seem quite elaborate via C/C++.
Has anything changed since Fortran 2003, given the C-
interoperability?

Are other languages than Java more suitable for this task? What do you
use?

Cheers
-Ralf
From: Arjan on
Try constructing something in TCL/TK. Immediate results! The resulting
gui works on Windows, linux and Mac with the same source code! I
constructed a very nice gui for my ASCII-input-file-based fortran
program. With some help from the people on comp.lang.tcl... Browse the
wiki!

Arjan
From: Gib Bogle on
ralf.schaa wrote:
> I am thinking of developing a GUI (including OpenGL) for a Fortran
> program - specifically I think of using Java for this task, given the
> platform independence. Now, I do not know Java or C/C++ and older
> threads recommend a simple way by communicating through text files ...
> more fancy ways seem quite elaborate via C/C++.
> Has anything changed since Fortran 2003, given the C-
> interoperability?
>
> Are other languages than Java more suitable for this task? What do you
> use?
>
> Cheers
> -Ralf

Faced with this question I decided to try the Python option, using the access to
Qt provided by PyQt. This comes with an easy-to-use program for creating a UI
with the usual widgets, called QtDesigner. My program is built as a dynamic
link library (DLL, or .so) which is loaded by Python, making the Fortran
subroutines available (those that are exposed). In my case it was very simple,
because I just need to call the subroutine that executes the program.

I chose to communicate on-the-fly model output to the GUI via sockets, which are
read at the Python end in separate threads. Currently I'm doing only simple 2D
graphics (using PyQwt), but at some point I'll probably venture into 3D graphics
using one of the Python libraries that provides OpenGL functions.
From: baf on
ralf.schaa wrote:
> I am thinking of developing a GUI (including OpenGL) for a Fortran
> program - specifically I think of using Java for this task, given the
> platform independence. Now, I do not know Java or C/C++ and older
> threads recommend a simple way by communicating through text files ...
> more fancy ways seem quite elaborate via C/C++.
> Has anything changed since Fortran 2003, given the C-
> interoperability?
>
> Are other languages than Java more suitable for this task? What do you
> use?
>
> Cheers
> -Ralf

dislin (dislin.de) has a nice set of gui widgets that do the job without
having to interface with a different language. Works under linux,
windows, and osx.
From: aerogeek on
On Feb 7, 3:47 am, "ralf.schaa" <ralf.sc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking of developing a GUI (including OpenGL) for a Fortran
> program  - specifically I think of using Java for this task, given the
> platform independence. Now, I do not know Java or C/C++ and older
> threads recommend a simple way by communicating through text files ...
> more fancy ways seem quite elaborate via C/C++.
> Has anything changed since Fortran 2003, given the C-
> interoperability?
>
> Are other languages than Java more suitable for this task? What do you
> use?
>
> Cheers
> -Ralf

I use excel for my GUI's. Backend is fortran's dll and the GUI is VBA
based form. Though it only works for Windows!!