From: Mark Westwood on
I went through the pain of plugging one of our Fortran codes into a
GUI written in Java. I'll resign if I'm asked to do it again. Java
is not cross-platform, Java runs only on a JVM. If you are new to
Java I strongly suggest you do not start by trying to learn how to
interface Java with libraries (dll, so, lib .a, whatever) written in
other languages.

Regards

Mark

From: GaryScott on
On Feb 6, 4:47 pm, "ralf.schaa" <ralf.sc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking of developing a GUI (including OpenGL) for a Fortran
> program  - specifically I think of using Java for this task, given the
> platform independence. Now, I do not know Java or C/C++ and older
> threads recommend a simple way by communicating through text files ...
> more fancy ways seem quite elaborate via C/C++.
> Has anything changed since Fortran 2003, given the C-
> interoperability?
>
> Are other languages than Java more suitable for this task? What do you
> use?
>
> Cheers
> -Ralf

Bradly Associates are pleased to announce the availability of GINO
v7.5.

A brief list of New features include:

* 32bit and 64bit versions supplied as one package

* Full Vista/Windows 7 support with better UAC control

* New driver for creating Flash/SWF files

* New XP/Vista icons in GINOMENU/GINOMENU Studio

* Full documentation now available on web-site

* New cursor types in GINOMENU

* Block commenting/uncommenting in GINOMENU Studio

* Block indenting/outdenting in GINOMENU Studio

* New look and feel to GINOMENU Studio

* Improved interface to C run-time libraries

* Ready for Visual Studio 2010

* Code-Signed Installation

BUY YOUR UPGRADE ON-LINE BEFORE 22ND MARCH 2010 AND RECEIVE A 25%
DISCOUNT.

Full details can be found at:

http://www.gino-graphics.com/version75.html

From: Abdul on
On Feb 6, 2:47 pm, "ralf.schaa" <ralf.sc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am thinking of developing a GUI (including OpenGL) for a Fortran
> program - specifically I think of using Java for this task, given the
> platform independence. Now, I do not know Java or C/C++ and older
> threads recommend a simple way by communicating through text files ...
> more fancy ways seem quite elaborate via C/C++.
> Has anything changed since Fortran 2003, given the C-
> interoperability?
>
> Are other languages than Java more suitable for this task? What do you
> use?
>
> Cheers
> -Ralf

Try

Japi - an open source free software GUI toolkit allowing the
development of platform independent applications

http://www.japi.de/

AA
From: ralf.schaa on
Thanks all for your insights and suggestions - I am not sure yet and I
guess I will play a bit with some of the suggestions made!
Cheers
-Ralf
From: Gib Bogle on
Mark Westwood wrote:
> I went through the pain of plugging one of our Fortran codes into a
> GUI written in Java. I'll resign if I'm asked to do it again. Java
> is not cross-platform, Java runs only on a JVM. If you are new to
> Java I strongly suggest you do not start by trying to learn how to
> interface Java with libraries (dll, so, lib .a, whatever) written in
> other languages.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

Python was pretty painless on Windows, and is probably just as easy on Linux
(I'll find out soon).

Gib