From: Tempuser on
On 7/22/10 12:33 PM, Geico Caveman wrote:
> Do these exist ?
>
> I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only printers
> within walking distance.

You may want to look at Gutenprint. From their FAQ:

Gutenprint FAQ for Mac OS X and Darwin

What is Gutenprint? Why would I want to install it?

Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) is a package of high quality
printer drivers for Mac OS X, Darwin, Linux, BSD, Solaris, IRIX, and
other UNIX-alike operating systems. In many cases, these drivers rival
or exceed the OEM drivers in quality and functionality. Our goal is to
produce the highest possible output quality from all supported printers.
To that end, we have done extensive work on screening algorithms, color
generation, and printer feature utilization. We are continuing our work
in all of these areas to produce ever higher quality results,
particularly on the ubiquitous, inexpensive inkjet printers that are
nonetheless capable of nearly photographic output quality. Additionally,
Gutenprint provides excellent drivers for many printers that are
otherwise unsupported on Mac OS X.

The home page for Mac OS X is at:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

From: Jonathan L. Parker on
Tempuser wrote:
> On 7/22/10 12:33 PM, Geico Caveman wrote:
>> Do these exist ?
>>
>> I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only printers
>> within walking distance.
>>
> You may want to look at Gutenprint.

I just did. Apparently it doesn't yet support *any* Dell printers at
all. Too bad.

Nice try, though. Gutenprint was just what *I* was going to suggest.

From: Tempuser on
On 7/23/10 4:35 PM, Jonathan L. Parker wrote:
> Tempuser wrote:
>> On 7/22/10 12:33 PM, Geico Caveman wrote:
>>> Do these exist ?
>>>
>>> I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only printers
>>> within walking distance.
>>>
>> You may want to look at Gutenprint.
>
> I just did. Apparently it doesn't yet support *any* Dell printers at
> all. Too bad.
>
> Nice try, though. Gutenprint was just what *I* was going to suggest.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news(a)netfront.net ---
I'm going to guess that these printers are on a local network. One can
try adding the printer to MAC via its IP address. The printer might be
recognized by its print engine. Dell doesn't make printers.
From: None of your business on
In article <2010072213334616807-spammersgohere(a)spaminvalid>,
Geico Caveman <spammers-go-here(a)spam.invalid> wrote:

> Do these exist ?
>
> I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only printers
> within walking distance.

Dell does not make printers. What they do is take other vendors'
machines and rebadge them. Most 'Dell' printers are really Lexmark or
Canon printers. If yours are Canon printers, you might be able to go to
Canon's site and identify which one by visual inspection, and then get a
driver which might work. If yours are Lexmark printers, then it is quite
likely that you are out of luck. You could try to go to Lexmark's site
and ID the model upon which your printer was based, but usually Dell or
Lexmark made sufficient changes during the rebadging that Lexmark's
drivers won't work anymore.
From: Geico Caveman on
On 2010-07-22 20:35:02 -0500, Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> said:

> In article <2010072213334616807-spammersgohere(a)spaminvalid>,
> Geico Caveman <spammers-go-here(a)spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Do these exist ?
>>
>> I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only printers
>> within walking distance.
>
> Nope. No drivers. The Dell is strictly a WINDOWS ONLY printer.

That is what I had suspected.

> You've got very limited options here, depending on your technical
> expertise and time. You could either
>
> (1) run Windows on your Mac and access the printer through Windows
> drivers. Bootcamp allows you to install and run Windows on your Mac as
> if it were a PC. Parallels and Fusion allow you to install Windows on
> the Mac and run it within the context of the Windows OS.

I know how to do all this (I am a former Linux user, and much more
savvy with the command line than an average mac user would be, and have
set up scores of virtual machines when needed.). But this is simply
overkill. But Darwine is lightweight. Is there a way to add a Darwine
printer to the Print and Fax preferences ?

> (2) depending on how they have the printers setup, you could "print
> remotely" to them through Windows Remote Printing services.

No. They have a really dysfunctional setup. Basically, they have a
bunch of USB cables hanging off these shared printers (shared only in
name).

> Given enough time and documentation, you could also
>
> (3) find a suitable similar driver that "sort of" works or

Haven't found one.

> (4) write your own driver which you'd have to maintain or
>
> http://www.mahalo.com/answers/what-can-i-do-to-get-my-dell-mfp-1125-to-wo
> rk-on-my-mac
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=e
> n&s=dhs&SystemID=PRN_LSR_MFP1125&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1&dateid=-
> 1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1

No way. The printer is a tool I use. Not a project. Its not something I
am interested in, or paid to do.

> OR you could request a Mac-compatable printer for your office and the
> Mac users near you. If you work in a company where they've standardized
> on a specific model printer (e.g. they buy Dell systems and get the
> printers, parts, and service from Dell), that might not be an option.

It isn't.

> It sounds like you're a lone Mac in a sea of Windows. Most likely,
> you're going to have to come up with your own solutions in order to use
> your Mac. If you're not technical, you had better become technical
> 'cause you're doing your own support essentially.

There are other mac users and linux users. But none among the pointy
heads that make purchasing decisions. Wonder why the most technically
incompetent are given the power to make technical decisions.