From: Geico Caveman on
On 2010-08-10 18:26:17 -0500, Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> said:

> In article <2010081011363450073-spammersgohere(a)spaminvalid>,
> Geico Caveman <spammers-go-here(a)spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-07-22 20:35:02 -0500, Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> said:

>>> Nope. No drivers. The Dell is strictly a WINDOWS ONLY printer.
>>
>> That is what I had suspected.
>>

>>> You've got very limited options here, depending on your technical
>>> expertise and time. You could either
>>>
>>> (1) run Windows on your Mac and access the printer through Windows
>>> drivers. Bootcamp allows you to install and run Windows on your Mac as
>>> if it were a PC. Parallels and Fusion allow you to install Windows on
>>> the Mac and run it within the context of the Windows OS.
>>
>> I know how to do all this (I am a former Linux user, and much more
>> savvy with the command line than an average mac user would be, and have
>> set up scores of virtual machines when needed.). But this is simply
>> overkill. But Darwine is lightweight. Is there a way to add a Darwine
>> printer to the Print and Fax preferences ?
>>

>>> (2) depending on how they have the printers setup, you could "print
>>> remotely" to them through Windows Remote Printing services.
>>
>> No. They have a really dysfunctional setup. Basically, they have a
>> bunch of USB cables hanging off these shared printers (shared only in
>> name).
>>

>>> Given enough time and documentation, you could also
>>>
>>> (3) find a suitable similar driver that "sort of" works or
>>
>> Haven't found one.
>>

>>> (4) write your own driver which you'd have to maintain or
>>>
>>> http://www.mahalo.com/answers/what-can-i-do-to-get-my-dell-mfp-1125-to-wo
>>> rk-on-my-mac
>>>
>>> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=e
>>> n&s=dhs&SystemID=PRN_LSR_MFP1125&os=WLH&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1&dateid=-
>>> 1&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1
>>
>> No way. The printer is a tool I use. Not a project. Its not something I
>> am interested in, or paid to do.
>>

>>> OR you could request a Mac-compatable printer for your office and the
>>> Mac users near you. If you work in a company where they've standardized
>>> on a specific model printer (e.g. they buy Dell systems and get the
>>> printers, parts, and service from Dell), that might not be an option.
>>
>> It isn't.
>>

>>> It sounds like you're a lone Mac in a sea of Windows. Most likely,
>>> you're going to have to come up with your own solutions in order to use
>>> your Mac. If you're not technical, you had better become technical
>>> 'cause you're doing your own support essentially.
>>
>> There are other mac users and linux users. But none among the pointy
>> heads that make purchasing decisions. Wonder why the most technically
>> incompetent are given the power to make technical decisions.
>
> You're essentially stuck without working print capability in MacOS,
> then. No solution I can think of other than to run Windows and print

How about Darwine ?

> from that. Or buy your own printer out of your own pocket, making sure
> the company won't appropriate it. If you're a contractor, there's legal
> president for that--you're supposed to supply your own tools and set
> your own schedule. If you're a peon, then you'll have to live with lack
> of printing if your manager won't get you a working print environment.

I don't want to invest in a printer for my office. Its just
wrongheaded. What is next, buy my own official computer ?

> Maybe it's time to find a new job if this is how you're treated. Your
> call on if this is a plane exiting incident:
>
> <http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_the_pilot/2010/08/09/steven_slater_j
> etblue_flight_attendant>

That is an overreaction. I will trust you were joking.

Never attribute to malice ...

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <attilaj-56E7BF.01203813082010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
Attila Jozsef <attilaj(a)poetry.szeged.edu.hu.invalid> wrote:

> In article <bite.me-714DFF.08290325072010(a)82-136-209-74.ip.telfort.nl>,
> None of your business <bite.me(a)go.away.now> wrote:
>
> > In article <2010072213334616807-spammersgohere(a)spaminvalid>,
> > Geico Caveman <spammers-go-here(a)spam.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > Do these exist ?
> > >
> > > I recently moved offices, and these (4 in number) are the only printers
> > > within walking distance.
> >
> > Dell does not make printers. What they do is take other vendors'
> > machines and rebadge them. Most 'Dell' printers are really Lexmark or
> > Canon printers. If yours are Canon printers, you might be able to go to
> > Canon's site and identify which one by visual inspection, and then get a
> > driver which might work. If yours are Lexmark printers, then it is quite
> > likely that you are out of luck. You could try to go to Lexmark's site
> > and ID the model upon which your printer was based, but usually Dell or
> > Lexmark made sufficient changes during the rebadging that Lexmark's
> > drivers won't work anymore.
>
> Sorry to be late to the discussion...
>
> The Dell 1125, like many cheap printers, is a Graphics Device Interface
> (GDI) printer, sometimes called a "Winprinter". The reason they are so
> cheap is that all the processing is done by the host computer, leaving
> the actual printer with not much more than its physical printing and
> paper handling mechanism.
>
> Like the old Winmodems they rely specificly on Windows to operate at
> all. I don't know if it is possible to print to them via running Windows
> on your Mac, but there is no way to print to them directly from Mac OS
> or Linux.
>
> Hope this helps

You'd need a special Mac printer driver that does all that work. And
Dell, being extremely Windows-centric, likely won't put forth the effort
to create such a driver. It'd be easier (but not cheaper) to add
Postscript support to the printer anyway.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <vilain-B5F77E.23595112082010(a)ssl.news.newsrazor.net>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <attilaj-56E7BF.01203813082010(a)5ad64b5e.bb.sky.com>,
> Attila Jozsef <attilaj(a)poetry.szeged.edu.hu.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <bite.me-714DFF.08290325072010(a)82-136-209-74.ip.telfort.nl>,
> > None of your business <bite.me(a)go.away.now> wrote:

> > > Dell does not make printers. What they do is take other vendors'
> > > machines and rebadge them. Most 'Dell' printers are really Lexmark or
> > > Canon printers. If yours are Canon printers, you might be able to go to
> > > Canon's site and identify which one by visual inspection, and then get a
> > > driver which might work. If yours are Lexmark printers, then it is quite
> > > likely that you are out of luck. You could try to go to Lexmark's site
> > > and ID the model upon which your printer was based, but usually Dell or
> > > Lexmark made sufficient changes during the rebadging that Lexmark's
> > > drivers won't work anymore.
> >
> > Sorry to be late to the discussion...
> >
> > The Dell 1125, like many cheap printers, is a Graphics Device Interface
> > (GDI) printer, sometimes called a "Winprinter". The reason they are so
> > cheap is that all the processing is done by the host computer, leaving
> > the actual printer with not much more than its physical printing and
> > paper handling mechanism.
> >
> > Like the old Winmodems they rely specificly on Windows to operate at
> > all. I don't know if it is possible to print to them via running Windows
> > on your Mac, but there is no way to print to them directly from Mac OS
> > or Linux.
> >
> > Hope this helps
>
> It sorta definitively answers the OP's question. He can't print to this
> thing from MacOS. Period.
>
> He can run XP or Win 7 via Bootcamp or in a virtual machine and print to
> it.
>
> Or just get over it and buy a printer that "just works" for himself to
> use at the office.

....and ask his boss/company to make a better purchase next time - one
that isn't limited to just one platform.

JR