From: Mike Barnard on
"Mac's don't get viruses" Or do they?

From: Lloyd Parsons on
In article <o25b661gkr5r421ko94h8kn8pkn9hbmfgv(a)4ax.com>,
Mike Barnard <m.barnard.trousers(a)thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mac's don't get viruses" Or do they?

Today they don't, who knows what tomorrow brings?

--
Lloyd

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <o25b661gkr5r421ko94h8kn8pkn9hbmfgv(a)4ax.com>,
Mike Barnard <m.barnard.trousers(a)thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mac's don't get viruses" Or do they?

Mac OS X has a built-in firewall (System Preferences > Security >
Firewall). If you are using a hardware router with its own built-in
hardware firewall, there's no need to use the Mac OS X firewall in your
Mac mini, though.

There are no Mac OS X viruses in the wild. None. And it has been this
way for the past decade. There is no need to run antivirus software on
your Mac. In fact, most Mac OS antivirus software from major
corporations such as Symantec, Sophos, and the like is notoriously buggy
and causes more problems than it solves. You're truly better off simply
using good computing practices and doing without such crappy software.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <o25b661gkr5r421ko94h8kn8pkn9hbmfgv(a)4ax.com>,
Mike Barnard <m.barnard.trousers(a)thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mac's don't get viruses" Or do they?

To directly answer your question:

Like any operating system, Mac OS X isn't impervious to virus attacks.
But it is significantly harder for virus writers to get a Mac virus to
gain traction than a Windows virus, for lots of sound reasons I won't
bother to go into here. For that reason Mac users have had a relatively
worry-free user experience regarding viruses.

If you did bother to run antivirus software on your Mac, and you were
willing to put up with the bugs and problems related to doing so, you'd
still not be any better protected, because to date there are no Mac
viruses in the wild for Mac OS X. Such software can't magically protect
you from what does not yet exist.

JR
From: Suze on
In article <o25b661gkr5r421ko94h8kn8pkn9hbmfgv(a)4ax.com>,
Mike Barnard <m.barnard.trousers(a)thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

> "Mac's don't get viruses" Or do they?

I remember one time many years ago when my husband got some kind of Mac
worm that necessitated his wiping his drive and re-installing the
system. AFAIK, that is the only viral problem my hubbie or I have ever
experienced on Macs. (He's been on Macs since around 1981 and me since
1995).
I don't have virus programs and don't recommend them. I do keep my
firewall up, and as long as you do that, I personally think you'll be
fine. It's one of the more pleasurable things about running a Mac, from
where I sit. I have a work windoze PC, and I would not dream of running
it without virus software. Despite having virus software on every
computer in our company, virii still get into the system periodically
and several employees have had to have their drives re-imaged.
--
Suze
Think of how stupid the average person is, and
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Sonos Wireless Multi-Room Music System