From: Janja on
I have Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2003. When I try to send a jpeg as an
attachment, most people can open it, but not those with Macs. It says
"Windata" or something like that. This is new behavior, has not been a
problem before. Is there a setting I need to change? Thank you.

From: VanguardLH on
Janja wrote:

> I have Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2003. When I try to send a jpeg as an
> attachment, most people can open it, but not those with Macs. It says
> "Windata" or something like that. This is new behavior, has not been a
> problem before. Is there a setting I need to change? Thank you.

No, the only recipients that can open those attachments are those also
using some version of Outlook. RTF (Rich-Text Format), a version of
Microsoft's TNEF format, is only understood by users of Outlook. No
other e-mail client understands TNEF, not even Microsoft's other e-mail
client. Just Outlook can render RTF e-mails.

RTF should only be used when you can guarantee that both the sender
(you) and the recipients (them) are *both* using Outlook. There are
winmail viewer app that can look inside the winmail.dat attachment.
Outlook Express won't even show that there is a winmail.dat attachment.
Besides both parties having to use Outlook to use RTF, they should also
be both using the same Exchange mail server to prevent corruption of the
attachment.

Unless you are in a closed environment where the sender and recipient
are both using Outlook and both are using the same Exchange mail server,
send your e-mails using plain-text or HTML format. Those are content
standards that were not defined by Microsoft and are not controlled by
Microsoft, so most if not all e-mail clients should understand those
non-proprietary formats.