From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<michelle-B18A47.08033420072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> The original source code for MacPaint 1.3 and for QuickDraw, along with
> some history about them are available at
> <http://www.computerhistory.org/highlights/macpaint/>
>
> According to MacRumorscom, the MacPaint source code has 5,822 lines of
> Pascal and 3,583 lines of 68000 assembly. QuickDraw library has 17,101
> lines of 68000 assembly.

Ahhh Pascal. I miss it sometimes! : )

JR
From: Steve on
In comp.sys.mac.system Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>In article
><michelle-B18A47.08033420072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:
>
>> The original source code for MacPaint 1.3 and for QuickDraw, along with
>> some history about them are available at
>> <http://www.computerhistory.org/highlights/macpaint/>
>>
>> According to MacRumorscom, the MacPaint source code has 5,822 lines of
>> Pascal and 3,583 lines of 68000 assembly. QuickDraw library has 17,101
>> lines of 68000 assembly.
>
>Ahhh Pascal. I miss it sometimes! : )

I only had a brief encounter with Pascal and never had the opportunity to
do anything with it other than school course work. I loved assembly but
that only lasted through tech school too.

-Steve
From: Salmon Egg on
In article <i2nafk$6l9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Steve <hexnut4(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I only had a brief encounter with Pascal and never had the opportunity to
> do anything with it other than school course work. I loved assembly but
> that only lasted through tech school too.

I really liked Pascal. I even did a bit of programming for a Macintosh
using it. There was a utility program whose name I forget, that would
put together windows, menus, and other Mac features. These would be
incorporated into an outline application. Then the individual operations
that implemented these could be be programmed.

I do little coding these days what cannot be implemented using Excel
spreadsheet functions. I still would like to have an application like
Turbo-Pascal for number and lexical crunching. Every time I look at
something like Gnu Pascal, I feel overwhelmed.

What, if anything is available for me?

Bill

--
An old man would be better off never having been born.
From: Jim Gibson on
In article <SalmonEgg-03B86B.16333827072010(a)news60.forteinc.com>,
Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> In article <i2nafk$6l9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Steve <hexnut4(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I only had a brief encounter with Pascal and never had the opportunity to
> > do anything with it other than school course work. I loved assembly but
> > that only lasted through tech school too.
>
> I really liked Pascal. I even did a bit of programming for a Macintosh
> using it. There was a utility program whose name I forget, that would
> put together windows, menus, and other Mac features. These would be
> incorporated into an outline application. Then the individual operations
> that implemented these could be be programmed.
>
> I do little coding these days what cannot be implemented using Excel
> spreadsheet functions. I still would like to have an application like
> Turbo-Pascal for number and lexical crunching. Every time I look at
> something like Gnu Pascal, I feel overwhelmed.
>
> What, if anything is available for me?

Well, there is always Real Basic. I have not used it, but it has been
around for a long time and looks pretty good.

<http://www.realsoftware.com/>

--
Jim Gibson
From: AES on
> In article <SalmonEgg-03B86B.16333827072010(a)news60.forteinc.com>,
> Salmon Egg <SalmonEgg(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> > I do little coding these days what cannot be implemented using Excel
> > spreadsheet functions. I still would like to have an application like
> > Turbo-Pascal for number and lexical crunching. Every time I look at
> > something like Gnu Pascal, I feel overwhelmed.
> >
> > What, if anything is available for me?

Mathematica?

Fearfully expensive if you buy it.

Also horribly complex if you try to get deep into it, but remarkably
powerful, and not so bad if you stay with simple approaches.