From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<70589cbb-e5e6-4e8f-868c-89a48da2e274(a)q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
Brian M Davis <bdavis34(a)carolina.rr.com> wrote:

> Permissions are set to Read & Write on both accounts.
>
> Do I correctly assume that the file will be recreated after I trash it?

Yes, that's true of all preference files. Your preferences will be set
back to the defaults.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-19-2010 21:56, Michelle Steiner wrote:
> Barry Margolin<barmar(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>>> Permissions are set to Read& Write on both accounts.
>>>
>>> Do I correctly assume that the file will be recreated after I trash
>>> it?
>>
>> Yes, that's true of all preference files. Your preferences will be set
>> back to the defaults.
>
> True, but that doesn't mean that the preference file will be created. In
> many apps, the default preferences are stored in the app's bundle, and a
> prefs file isn't created unless the user changes the prefs from the default.

The Dock writes its prefs on exit (from memory). So to change them, you
must

1. Do the edit or change
2. Give the Dock a kill -9

OR

1. Login on a different account
2. su in Terminal to the other account (or sudo) to make the change
without that account's Dock running.

--
Wes Groleau

Mexico Under Siege