From: VAXman- on
I can watch TV via EyeTV (not that I do watch TV) in a windwo and I can
watch and control other systems with VNC in a window on my 17" MBP.

I would like to be able to have software and hardware to allow a window
on the 17" MBP to be a VGA monitor. I imagine I'd need some VGA to USB
or Firewire device and software. Any suggestions? Experience?

All your spirit rack abuses, come to haunt you back by day.
All your Byzantine excuses, given time, given you away.
From: Tom Stiller on
In article <00AA0934.DBFF9385(a)SendSpamHere.ORG>,
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

> I can watch TV via EyeTV (not that I do watch TV) in a windwo and I can
> watch and control other systems with VNC in a window on my 17" MBP.

I do both on my 24" iMac.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
From: Bob Harris on
In article <00AA0934.DBFF9385(a)SendSpamHere.ORG>,
VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:

> I can watch TV via EyeTV (not that I do watch TV) in a windwo and I can
> watch and control other systems with VNC in a window on my 17" MBP.
>
> I would like to be able to have software and hardware to allow a window
> on the 17" MBP to be a VGA monitor. I imagine I'd need some VGA to USB
> or Firewire device and software. Any suggestions? Experience?

If you want the MBP to be an external monitor for another Mac, you
might look at ScreenRecycler
<http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html>

I do something slightly different to take advantage of my iMac,
PowerMac G5, and my MacBook screens. All 3 systems still control
their screens, but I use Teleport to control all 3 systems from my
iMac keyboard and mouse.
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22339>
From: VAXman- on
In article <nospam.News.Bob-5F5A04.20542617072010(a)reserved-multicast-range-NOT-delegated.example.com>, Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob(a)remove.Smith-Harris.us> writes:
>In article <00AA0934.DBFF9385(a)SendSpamHere.ORG>,
> VAXman- @SendSpamHere.ORG wrote:
>
>> I can watch TV via EyeTV (not that I do watch TV) in a windwo and I can
>> watch and control other systems with VNC in a window on my 17" MBP.
>>
>> I would like to be able to have software and hardware to allow a window
>> on the 17" MBP to be a VGA monitor. I imagine I'd need some VGA to USB
>> or Firewire device and software. Any suggestions? Experience?
>
>If you want the MBP to be an external monitor for another Mac, you
>might look at ScreenRecycler
><http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html>
>
>I do something slightly different to take advantage of my iMac,
>PowerMac G5, and my MacBook screens. All 3 systems still control
>their screens, but I use Teleport to control all 3 systems from my
>iMac keyboard and mouse.
><http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22339>

No, not another Mac. It would be a feed from a system with a VGA signal.
In fact, the VGA is coming from a box that's converting old RGB-SOG.

There's a device from a company called Epiphan. It's $300 for VGA-to-USB
capture device. Just wondered if anyone had any experience with it or any
other of its like.

From: AES on
In article
Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob(a)remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

> If you want the MBP to be an external monitor for another Mac, you
> might look at ScreenRecycler
> <http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html>
>
> I do something slightly different to take advantage of my iMac,
> PowerMac G5, and my MacBook screens. All 3 systems still control
> their screens, but I use Teleport to control all 3 systems from my
> iMac keyboard and mouse.
> <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22339>

Slightly different question:

I want to do _all_ my computing (and Internet communicating) on an MBP,
which sits on a desk in my home office and is cabled to several
peripherals there, using only its apps and files.

Occasionally, however, I might want to this on this MBP using an older
MB which can be carried into the kitchen or LR as a remote screen and
keyboard for the MBP. Both machines talk to the Airport network in our
house.

Could I use one of the above apps to do this? Or do I need to look into
Timbuktu or other such software?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Apple iPhone 4 issues