From: Bob Harris on
In article
<siegman-6CD523.09343218072010(a)bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>,
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article
> <nospam.News.Bob-5F5A04.20542617072010(a)reserved-multicast-range-NOT-dele
> gated.example.com>,
> Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob(a)remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:
>

> > If you want the MBP to be an external monitor for another Mac, you
> > might look at ScreenRecycler
> > <http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html>
> >
> > I do something slightly different to take advantage of my iMac,
> > PowerMac G5, and my MacBook screens. All 3 systems still control
> > their screens, but I use Teleport to control all 3 systems from my
> > iMac keyboard and mouse.
> > <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22339>
>
> Slightly different question:
>
> I want to do _all_ my computing (and Internet communicating) on an MBP,
> which sits on a desk in my home office and is cabled to several
> peripherals there, using only its apps and files.
>
> Occasionally, however, I might want to this on this MBP using an older
> MB which can be carried into the kitchen or LR as a remote screen and
> keyboard for the MBP. Both machines talk to the Airport network in our
> house.
>
> Could I use one of the above apps to do this? Or do I need to look into
> Timbuktu or other such software?

For that you just need System Preferences -> Screen Sharing
enabled on the MacBook Pro so your older MacBook can display the
MacBook Pro's screen on the MacBook (Finder -> Go -> Connect to
server -> vnc://MacBookPro.address) and the MacBook will send its
keyboard and mouse/trackpad input the the MacBook Pro.

If you have Leopard or Snow Leopard installed on either system,
then you have all you need. If you are running Tiger on one of
the systems, then some 3rd party software may be needed.

Screen recycler make the system running it look like a dumb
monitor, and the keyboard/mouse on the system running screen
recycler does not affect the system displaying on the dumb monitor.

Teleport would let you control the MacBook Pro from the MacBook,
but you would need to be able look from the kitchen to the MacBook
Pro's screen, as Teleport does not bring the MacBook Pro's screen
to you, it just sends your keyboard/mouse info to the MacBook Pro.

Both Screen Recycler and Teleport are for systems sitting side by
side, and you wish to take advantage of the hardware in some form
or another.

So what you are looking for is Screen Sharing (or if using Tiger
or older, VNC software).

Bob Harris
From: AES on
In article
<nospam.News.Bob-C58EC3.13183318072010(a)reserved-multicast-range-NOT-dele
gated.example.com>,
Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob(a)remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

> For that you just need System Preferences -> Screen Sharing
> enabled on the MacBook Pro so your older MacBook can display the
> MacBook Pro's screen on the MacBook (Finder -> Go -> Connect to
> server -> vnc://MacBookPro.address) and the MacBook will send its
> keyboard and mouse/trackpad input the the MacBook Pro.

Thanks! Now I just need to get both of these upgraded from Tiger -- and
that's in progress.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Apple iPhone 4 issues