From: mohamad rahimi on

In our group we are using suse and
Postfix SMTP server. Every thing was fine until last month when we
restart our mail server and also firewall.
The first problem is that when we use
Thunderbird with security and Authentication it is impossible to send
a email. we receive this error “Unable to authentication to SMTP
server mx.mydomain. The server does not support any compatible
secure authentication mechanism but you have chosen secure
authentication. Try switching off secure authentication”. however ,
it is possible to send email without Authentication in local network.
The second problem is that we can not
send email via Thunderbird from outside of our local network.
The error is “Mail server responded
5.7.1 < X(a)Y.com> relay access
denied. Please check the message recipient X(a)Y.com and try again”.
we also have web mail (Squirrelmail)
and it works without any problems everywhere.
I completely confuse without change
anything these problem happen.
I was wondering if someone could help
me.

From: Simon Waters on
On Monday 19 April 2010 09:51:52 mohamad rahimi wrote:
> In our group we are using suse and
> Postfix SMTP server. Every thing was fine until last month when we
> restart our mail server and also firewall.
> The first problem is that when we use
> Thunderbird with security and Authentication it is impossible to send
> a email. we receive this error “Unable to authentication to SMTP
> server mx.mydomain. The server does not support any compatible
> secure authentication mechanism but you have chosen secure
> authentication.

Could it be that authentication depends on a daemon and that daemon isn't in
your start-up scripts?

But without details of how it was configured I'm just guessing.

So it could be as simple as: "/etc/init.d/courier-authdaemon start"

And then ensuring it is in the start-up.

Post here output of postconf, and also any errors, and others can probably
give more specific advice.

From: Wietse Venema on
mohamad rahimi:
>In our group we are using suse and Postfix SMTP server. Every thing
>was fine until last month when we restart our mail server and also
>firewall. The first problem is that when we use Thunderbird with
>security and Authentication it is impossible to send a email. we
>receive this error ?Unable to authentication to SMTP server
>mx.mydomain. The server does not support any compatible secure
>authentication mechanism but you have chosen secure authentication.
>Try switching off secure authentication?. however , it is possible
>to send email without Authentication in local network. The second
>problem is that we can not send email via Thunderbird from outside
>of our local network. The error is ?Mail server responded 5.7.1
>< X(a)Y.com> relay access denied. Please check the message recipient
>X(a)Y.com and try again?. we also have web mail (Squirrelmail) and
>it works without any problems everywhere. I completely confuse
>without change anything these problem happen. I was wondering if
>someone could help me.

Plese provide the information as requested in the mailing list
welcome message.

Thank you for using Postfix.