From: alex on
hello

I intend to make a full OS upgrade to one of my servers. Beside the OS I
switch also the pop/imap server from courier to dovecot.
Now I have two servers with postfix and the new one with dovecot and the
old one with courier.
In order to make a transparent migration I chose to move one mailbox at
the time to see how the new system take the load and to be able to solve
eventually misconfiguration problems.
For this I put in front of this two server , a third server to act as a
mx/proxy.
The third server will receive mails for my domains and base on transport
maps will direct those messages to the right server/recipients. In terms
of pop/imap connections I have setup a perdiction pop/imap proxy to
redirect pop/imap request to the right server. The pop/imap auth is
handled by the back-end servers (and it's working very well).
The final problem is the smtp auth, which I want to be as simple as in
pop/imap case. My first idea is to use a transparent smtpd proxy to
forward all submission request to the backend server.
I want to keep the third server simple as possile and in the future to
be more scalable (spread mailboxes on multiple servers, etc).
Do you have any recommendation for a smtp proxy or another solution?

thank you
alex