From: Andrew M. Saucci, Jr. on
I have a client complaining that e-mails are showing as read when
they have not been read. The server is Exchange 2003 SP2. What possible
reasons might cause this?

From: Karl Mitschke on
Hello Andrew,

> I have a client complaining that e-mails are showing as read
> when they have not been read. The server is Exchange 2003 SP2. What
> possible reasons might cause this?

1) Someone else has access to their mailbox, and is reading them
2) They are in preview pane, and the option to mark messages as read after
<> seconds is checked
3) They are in preview pane, and the option to mark messages as read after
selection changes is checked
4) They have a rule to mark them as read.

Karl
http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com/

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:49:19 +0000 (UTC), Karl Mitschke
<karlmitschke(a)somestate.gov> wrote:

>Hello Andrew,
>
>> I have a client complaining that e-mails are showing as read
>> when they have not been read. The server is Exchange 2003 SP2. What
>> possible reasons might cause this?
>>

>1) Someone else has access to their mailbox, and is reading them
>2) They are in preview pane, and the option to mark messages as read after
><> seconds is checked
>3) They are in preview pane, and the option to mark messages as read after
>selection changes is checked
>4) They have a rule to mark them as read.

5) they're accessing the mailbox with a POP3/IMAP4 e-mail client,
perhaps a phone or from home computer,
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP