From: AlexT on
Dear all

I have a rather unsettling problem with a Win2k8 SBS server.

It was working just fine until yesterday when it started to exhibit
strange (apparently) network & AD related problems which led to an
eventual failure of the Exchange server, which stopped working
reporting:

---
Process MAD.EXE (PID=2672). Topology discovery failed, error
0x80040a02 (DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC). Look up the Lightweight Directory
Access Protocol (LDAP) error code specified in the event description.
To do this, use Microsoft Knowledge Base article 218185, "Microsoft
LDAP Error Codes." Use the information in that article to learn more
about the cause and resolution to this error. Use the Ping or PathPing
command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain
controllers.
---

Overall networking seems to work - at least I can do pings and ns
lookups just fine. File services & print server works. RDP is ok, LDAP
sems to work fine, DNS resolution is also working nicely.

Running netIQ ADCheck doesn't show any problem.

The real strange part is that i don't see anything obvious in the
event log. There are a few exchange related errors

----
One of the System Attendant's task is blocked.
----
Failed to load config due to exception:
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.NoSuitableServerFoundException: The
Exchange Topology service on server localhost did not return a
suitable domain controller.
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.DSAccessTopologyProvider.GetConfigDCInfo(Boolean
throwOnFailure)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.TopologyProvider.PopulateConfigNamingContexts()
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.TopologyProvider.GetConfigurationNamingContext()
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.GetConnection(String
preferredServer, Boolean isWriteOperation, Boolean isNotifyOperation,
ADObjectId& rootId)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.GetReadConnection(String
preferredServer, ADObjectId& rootId)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.Find(ADObjectId
rootId, String optionalBaseDN, ADObjectId readId, QueryScope scope,
QueryFilter filter, SortBy sortBy, Int32 maxResults, IEnumerable`1
properties, CreateObjectDelegate objectCreator, CreateObjectsDelegate
arrayCreator)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.Find(ADObjectId
rootId, QueryScope scope, QueryFilter filter, SortBy sortBy, Int32
maxResults, IEnumerable`1 properties, CreateObjectDelegate objectCtor,
CreateObjectsDelegate arrayCtor)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADSession.Find[TResult]
(ADObjectId rootId, QueryScope scope, QueryFilter filter, SortBy
sortBy, Int32 maxResults, IEnumerable`1 properties)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.SystemConfiguration.ADSystemConfigurationSession.Find[TResult]
(ADObjectId rootId, QueryScope scope, QueryFilter filter, SortBy
sortBy, Int32 maxResults)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.SystemConfiguration.ADSystemConfigurationSession.FindServerByFqdn(String
serverFqdn)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.SystemConfiguration.ADSystemConfigurationSession.FindLocalServer()
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.LocalServerConfiguration.<>c__DisplayClass2.<TryLoadLocalServer>b__0()
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADNotificationAdapter.RunADOperation(ADOperation
adOperation, Int32 retryCount)
at
Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADNotificationAdapter.TryRunADOperation(ADOperation
adOperation, Int32 retryCount)
----
Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=2524). When updating security for a
remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Exchange Active Directory
Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor
for Exchange server object VNSERVER - Error code=80040a01.
The Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue with
limited
but that's about it…
----

I have (in despair) rolled back the most recent windows / exchange
updates to no avail

Obviously any suggestion / help would be most appreciated !

Thanks

alex
From: Damian on
On 30/04/2010 16:00, AlexT wrote:
> [...]
> adOperation, Int32 retryCount)
> at
> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Directory.ADNotificationAdapter.TryRunADOperation(ADOperation
> adOperation, Int32 retryCount)
> ----
> Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGY (PID=2524). When updating security for a
> remote procedure call (RPC) access for the Exchange Active Directory
> Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor
> for Exchange server object VNSERVER - Error code=80040a01.
> The Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue with
> limited
> but that's about it�
> ----
>
> I have (in despair) rolled back the most recent windows / exchange
> updates to no avail
>
> Obviously any suggestion / help would be most appreciated !

Make sure the check box for IPV6 is ticked in your network connections
window.
I recently made that very mistake, taking hours to find the root of the
problem, when carrying out a fresh install of 2k7.
This did display itself as a topology failure aslo.
From: Damian on
On 30/04/2010 17:39, Damian wrote:
> [...]
>> Topology service, Exchange could not retrieve the security descriptor
>> for Exchange server object VNSERVER - Error code=80040a01.
>> The Exchange Active Directory Topology service will continue with
>> limited
>> but that's about it�
>> ----
>>
>> I have (in despair) rolled back the most recent windows / exchange
>> updates to no avail
>>
>> Obviously any suggestion / help would be most appreciated !
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> alex
> Make sure the check box for IPV6 is ticked in your network connections
> window.
> I recently made that very mistake, taking hours to find the root of the
> problem, when carrying out a fresh install of 2k7.
> This did display itself as a topology failure aslo.
Obviously that should have read a fresh install of e2k7.
From: AlexT on

> Make sure the check box for IPV6 is ticked in your network connections
> window.
> I recently made that very mistake, taking hours to find the root of the
> problem, when carrying out a fresh install of 2k7.
> This did display itself as a topology failure aslo.

Blody h*** that was it ! A very big THANK YOU !!

Now if anyone can explain the requirement to have ipv6 to run Exchange
SBS I'm all ears...

Regards

-alexT
From: Damian on
On 30/04/2010 20:58, AlexT wrote:

>> Make sure the check box for IPV6 is ticked in your network connections
>> window.
>> I recently made that very mistake, taking hours to find the root of the
>> problem, when carrying out a fresh install of 2k7.
>> This did display itself as a topology failure aslo.
>
> Blody h*** that was it ! A very big THANK YOU !!
>
> Now if anyone can explain the requirement to have ipv6 to run Exchange
> SBS I'm all ears...
>
> Regards
>
> -alexT

me too.
I have had no time to get to the bottom of why - just know that it is a
requirement.

Pages: 1
Prev: Mail shows as read
Next: objtfolder