From: Sam Wootton on
Hi,

I nearly have Postfix working on Opensuse 11.1.

For a non system account user, it works. For example:

/var/mail/vhosts/samwootton.com/bruno

gets populated with incoming mail. However, when i try to do the same for a
system account user, it never reaches that message store.

It was going in to /var/spool/mail/useraccount but i commented out:

mail_spool_directory

in mail.cf. Here are the rest of my settings:

*inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost*
> *mydestination = $myhostname*
> *virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailmaps*
> *local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps*
> *local_transport = virtual*
> *mynetworks_style = host*
> *virtual_mailbox_domains = samwootton.com*
> *virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts*

I have commented out 'mailbox_transport' completely.

Here is my vmailmaps:

sam(a)samwootton.com samwootton.com/sam

Could anyone help me fix this problem? Just to clarify, i can get non
system account mail being delivered, but not a system account.

I'm guessing it is still using the default delivery agent for that on system
account? A delivery agent that looks inside /etc/passwd and /etc/aliases
files?

Thanks for any help.

Regards, Sam

--
sam(a)samwootton.com
From: Magnus =?iso-8859-1?Q?B=E4ck?= on
On Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 17:34 CET,
Sam Wootton <sam.wootton(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I nearly have Postfix working on Opensuse 11.1.
>
> For a non system account user, it works. For example:
>
> /var/mail/vhosts/samwootton.com/bruno
>
> gets populated with incoming mail. However, when i try to do the same
> for a system account user, it never reaches that message store.

Is it the same domain? Show logs.

> It was going in to /var/spool/mail/useraccount but i commented out:
>
> mail_spool_directory
>
> in mail.cf.

Doing so was most likely useless.

> Here are the rest of my settings:

Next time, post "postconf -n" output instead.

> *inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost*
> > *mydestination = $myhostname*
> > *virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailmaps*
> > *local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps*
> > *local_transport = virtual*
> > *mynetworks_style = host*
> > *virtual_mailbox_domains = samwootton.com*
> > *virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts*

The cause of your problems may very well be that you're messing with
local_recipient_maps and local_transport in this manner. There are very
few occasions where such a configuration makes any sense, and this is
most likely not one of them. You need to read up on address classes.

List local domains in mydestination.
List virtual mailbox domains in virtual_mailbox_domains.
List virtual alias domains in virtual_alias_domains.
List relay domains in relay_domains.

Unless you have a single domain that contains users in two or more of
these address classes, getting the above right is all it takes.

> I have commented out 'mailbox_transport' completely.

That doesn't make any difference as you're not using local(8) at all.

> Here is my vmailmaps:
>
> sam(a)samwootton.com samwootton.com/sam
>
> Could anyone help me fix this problem? Just to clarify, i can get non
> system account mail being delivered, but not a system account.
>
> I'm guessing it is still using the default delivery agent for that on
> system account? A delivery agent that looks inside /etc/passwd and
> /etc/aliases files?

Until you show us logs we can only guess. Throw in full "postconf -n"
output while you're at it.

--
Magnus B�ck
magnus(a)dsek.lth.se

From: Sam Wootton on
2009/11/22 Magnus Bäck <magnus(a)dsek.lth.se>

> On Sunday, November 22, 2009 at 17:34 CET,
> Sam Wootton <sam.wootton(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I nearly have Postfix working on Opensuse 11.1.
> >
> > For a non system account user, it works. For example:
> >
> > /var/mail/vhosts/samwootton.com/bruno
> >
> > gets populated with incoming mail. However, when i try to do the same
> > for a system account user, it never reaches that message store.
>
> Is it the same domain? Show logs.
>
> > It was going in to /var/spool/mail/useraccount but i commented out:
> >
> > mail_spool_directory
> >
> > in mail.cf.
>
> Doing so was most likely useless.
>
> > Here are the rest of my settings:
>
> Next time, post "postconf -n" output instead.
>
> > *inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost*
> > > *mydestination = $myhostname*
> > > *virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailmaps*
> > > *local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps*
> > > *local_transport = virtual*
> > > *mynetworks_style = host*
> > > *virtual_mailbox_domains = samwootton.com*
> > > *virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts*
>
> The cause of your problems may very well be that you're messing with
> local_recipient_maps and local_transport in this manner. There are very
> few occasions where such a configuration makes any sense, and this is
> most likely not one of them. You need to read up on address classes.
>
> List local domains in mydestination.
> List virtual mailbox domains in virtual_mailbox_domains.
> List virtual alias domains in virtual_alias_domains.
> List relay domains in relay_domains.
>
> Unless you have a single domain that contains users in two or more of
> these address classes, getting the above right is all it takes.
>
> > I have commented out 'mailbox_transport' completely.
>
> That doesn't make any difference as you're not using local(8) at all.
>
> > Here is my vmailmaps:
> >
> > sam(a)samwootton.com samwootton.com/sam
> >
> > Could anyone help me fix this problem? Just to clarify, i can get non
> > system account mail being delivered, but not a system account.
> >
> > I'm guessing it is still using the default delivery agent for that on
> > system account? A delivery agent that looks inside /etc/passwd and
> > /etc/aliases files?
>
> Until you show us logs we can only guess. Throw in full "postconf -n"
> output while you're at it.
>
> --
> Magnus Bäck
> magnus(a)dsek.lth.se

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response - apologies for my slow response.

I have a single domain that has 2 categories of user (a unix holding account
user, and a non-unix account user).

I didn't think my set-up was that odd. After all, in main.cf, it states:

"You need to update the local_recipient_maps setting if:

> - You define $mydestination domain recipients in files other than
> /etc/passwd, /etc/aliases, or the $virtual_alias_maps files.
> For example, you define $mydestination domain recipients in
> the $virtual_mailbox_maps files."

So i assumed that:

*local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps*

was ok. About address classes. I don't think i need to alter the
transport.db, and therefore am unsure about where to define address classes
and what the vlaue should be.

Here is my postconf output:

biff = no
canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
defer_transports =
delay_warning_time = 1h
disable_dns_lookups = no
disable_mime_output_conversion = no
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix-doc/html
inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
inet_protocols = all
local_recipient_maps = $virtual_mailbox_maps
local_transport = virtual
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_command =
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mailbox_transport =
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
masquerade_domains =
masquerade_exceptions = root
message_size_limit = 10240000
message_strip_characters = \0
mydestination = $myhostname
myhostname = samwootton.com
mynetworks_style = host
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix-doc/README_FILES
relay_domains = $mydestination
relayhost =
relocated_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relocated
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/packages/postfix-doc/samples
sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = maildrop
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtp_use_tls = no
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
smtpd_use_tls = no
strict_8bitmime = no
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
virtual_gid_maps = static:100
virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
virtual_mailbox_domains = samwootton.com
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailmaps
virtual_minimum_uid = 501
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps = static:1000

--
sam(a)samwootton.com
From: tobi on
Sam Wootton schrieb:
> [...]
> sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
> sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
> setgid_group = maildrop
> smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
> smtp_use_tls = no
> smtpd_client_restrictions =
> smtpd_helo_required = no
> smtpd_helo_restrictions =
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
> smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
> smtpd_use_tls = no
> strict_8bitmime = no
> strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
> virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> virtual_gid_maps = static:100
> virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
> virtual_mailbox_domains = samwootton.com
> virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailmaps

You should not set your domainname in mydestination if you plan to
receive emails for virtual users on that domain.

From: Sam Wootton on
2009/11/23 tobi <tobster(a)tobisworld.homeip.net>

> [...]
> > smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
> > smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
> > smtpd_sender_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/access
> > smtpd_use_tls = no
> > strict_8bitmime = no
> > strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
> > transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport
> > unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
> > virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
> > virtual_gid_maps = static:100
> > virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
> > virtual_mailbox_domains = samwootton.com
> > virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailmaps
> > virtual_minimum_uid = 501
> > virtual_transport = virtual
> > virtual_uid_maps = static:1000
> >

> You should not set your domainname in mydestination if you plan to
> receive emails for virtual users on that domain.

Thanks for that. Is there any reason why? Seems logical to me. It *is* my
destination, why does the type of account make a difference? I have
O'Reilly postfix book - and i didnt see any mention of that.

So where do i specify it?

Many thanks for your advice.

--
sam(a)samwootton.com