From: Jeff McKay on
I have an application that consists of two programs running on the same
machine. One is a mailslot
server, the other a client. The client sends messages to the server by
calling CreateFile to open the
slot, then WriteFile to send the data. This all works fine on most
machines. Now I test it on a Vista
laptop, and it does not work. WriteFile returns error 64
(ERROR_NETNAME_DELETED,
The specified network name is no longer available). I don't understand
this at all - there is no network
involved, both programs are on the same machine. Any ideas?

From: Leo Davidson on
On Mar 26, 4:31 am, "Jeff McKay" <jeff.mc...(a)comaxis.com> wrote:

> Now I test it on a Vista laptop, and it does not work.

If you run the client program elevated (right-click, Run as
Administrator), does it work then?
From: Jeff McKay on
No, that didn't work. I had been running the client manually from a DOS
window that had been run as
Administrator, but I tried setting up a shortcut for it, running as Admin
(Vista prompts me for permission) but
the WriteFile still fails.

From: Hector Santos on

Sounds like its network related. MailSlots uses NETBIOS names and if
you don't have it bound to the NIC for NETBIOS over TCP/IP operations
then this error can occur. Check to see if VISTA has it off.

--
HLS