From: gm4jnw on
Have an asda credit card and previously was able to access with
safari, a few weeks ago it stopped working and had an error - rang
asda finance and they only support internet explorer but said that
firefox would work, downloaded and it worked fine until last week and
I get asda login screen then input password etc and then just a blank
page.

Phoned asda up again and told them i never have problems with shopping
at asda on any browser only with asda finance, have been advised that
safari, opera, firefox do not work - the tech could not tell me if its
an issue with any version or not just they dont work.

Only internet explorer works - i downloaded the last explorer for mac
i could find 5.2 and it does not work, its looking for scripts of
somekind.

So does anyone use asda finance credit card log on at the moment with
any mac browsers that work?

I have had to ask them to send paper statements - what a backward
step!!

Has Bill Gates bought asda finance??
From: gm4jnw on
Have now tried firefox versions back to 3.5 and the same issue - blank
page when loggin in.

Google Chrome not working either

From: JF Mezei on
gm4jnw(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Have now tried firefox versions back to 3.5 and the same issue - blank
> page when loggin in.
>
> Google Chrome not working either

try (from command line)

curl -I http://www.asda.com

curl http://www.asda.com > temp.html
and then try file -> open from your browser of the temp.html

The first command (with the -I) will print out the HTTP response (about
10 lines) and this may give you some hint on why your browser has
problems. The Content-type should be "text/html".

Another option is to use an html validator (goto
http://validator.w3.org/ and type the asda URL). It will load that page
and try to validate it. It may tell you there are major problesm wit it,
or perhaps that there are no major erros (but lots of small errors). In
the later case, you could suspect your own infrastructure.

Are you on DSL ? Cable ? Dialup ? Other ? You may wish to check your MTU
settings. If the MTU is wrong, some web sites will not load because some
packets get fragmented.

http://www.speedguide.net:8080
will give you a page showing your connection parameters, including your
MTU. For DSL with PPPoE, it cannot be above 1492. Some ISPs have it even
lower. You can set your router to force a lower MTU (such as 1492) so
that TCP onnection start with that value instead of using higher value
until connection brteaks (at which point MTU discovery kicks in to try
to find proper MTU.
From: gm4jnw on
There are 9 errors but eight are just .gifs and stuff but the 9th is
an unclosed table tag

Line 66, Column 8: end tag for "tr" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was
specified
✉
You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to
"self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

But if the table was needed for sign on it would fail on all browsers.

The furthest I can get is after submitting the username and password I
get a blank page at:
https://www.santandercards.co.uk/eservice/affinity/secure?appFunc=submitSignIn

Thats as far as my techy knowledge goes - I may just have to move to
a different credit card

From: gm4jnw on

> http://www.speedguide.net:8080
> will give you a page showing your connection parameters, including your
> MTU. For DSL with PPPoE, it cannot be above 1492. Some ISPs have it even
> lower. You can set your router to force a lower MTU (such as 1492) so
> that TCP onnection start with that value instead of using higher value
> until connection brteaks (at which point MTU discovery kicks in to try
> to find proper MTU.

The infrastucture is ok;
MTU = 1500
MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
I dont suspect anything apart from asda incompatibility

No other websites are any problems - all able to resolve ok