From: Salgud on
Just found out tonight that SL won't allow a user to password protect a
folder except by creating a disk image. While this doesn't appear to be
a major problem, it certainly would be a lot easier to just do password
protection, like in, uh, Windoze. This is another area where Windoze has
Apple beat. Apparently, previous versions of Leopard had this feature,
but it was remove in SL?

Great thinking, Apple! Always like it when the new version makes it
harder to do something you've always been able to do!
From: nospam on
In article <i0e3jk$tea$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Salgud
<spamboy6547(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Just found out tonight that SL won't allow a user to password protect a
> folder except by creating a disk image. While this doesn't appear to be
> a major problem, it certainly would be a lot easier to just do password
> protection, like in, uh, Windoze. This is another area where Windoze has
> Apple beat. Apparently, previous versions of Leopard had this feature,
> but it was remove in SL?

it's always been possible with command line hacking or third party
software, including in snow leopard.

> Great thinking, Apple! Always like it when the new version makes it
> harder to do something you've always been able to do!

if you're going to troll, at least find something that is really wrong
with snow leopard.
From: David Empson on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <i0e3jk$tea$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Salgud
> <spamboy6547(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Just found out tonight that SL won't allow a user to password protect a
> > folder except by creating a disk image. While this doesn't appear to be
> > a major problem, it certainly would be a lot easier to just do password
> > protection, like in, uh, Windoze. This is another area where Windoze has
> > Apple beat. Apparently, previous versions of Leopard had this feature,
> > but it was remove in SL?

I'm not aware of any previous version of Mac OS X offering this feature
for arbitrary folders.

There is of course FileVault, which has been there at least as far back
as Mac OS X 10.4, and is still there in 10.6. It encrypts the entire
home folder for a user.

FileVault is implmented as an encrypted disk image, but this is almost
entirely transparent to the user. The image is mounted when you log in,
and unmounted when you log out.

> it's always been possible with command line hacking or third party
> software, including in snow leopard.

With the command line you could create an encypted disk image, and mount
it on a particular folder. Once mounted it would be transparent to the
user, but it should be unmounted on logout.

Wouldn't be hard for a third party application, AppleScript or Automator
script to implement this.

I have no problem with creating an encrypted disk image myself. You can
even set up an alias to it which will automatically mount it (entering
the password by hand, or from your keychain if you are willing to trust
it).

> > Great thinking, Apple! Always like it when the new version makes it
> > harder to do something you've always been able to do!
>
> if you're going to troll, at least find something that is really wrong
> with snow leopard.

Agreed.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
In article <i0e3jk$tea$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Salgud <spamboy6547(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Just found out tonight that SL won't allow a user to password protect a
> folder except by creating a disk image. While this doesn't appear to be
> a major problem, it certainly would be a lot easier to just do password
> protection, like in, uh, Windoze. This is another area where Windoze has
> Apple beat. Apparently, previous versions of Leopard had this feature,
> but it was remove in SL?
>
> Great thinking, Apple! Always like it when the new version makes it
> harder to do something you've always been able to do!

The feature exists but it has always been mostly broken in Finder.
Select "Get Info", click the lock icon to authenticate, then edit the
"Sharing & Permissions" section. It sometimes works. The command line,
3rd party utilities, and OS X Server can access it properly.

The disk image is different - that's encryption, not password protection.
From: salgud on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:13:59 -0700, Michelle Steiner wrote:

> In article <1ukmbqebvf8f2.cnvw91wy11wa$.dlg(a)40tude.net>,
> salgud <spamboy6547(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Then it occurred to me that I hadn't specified that I was working in SL,
>> so I googled again. The instructions I found said you used to be able to
>> do this in Leopard, you had to do a disk image in SL. Then I looked at a
>> Youtube video on how to do it, and he said the same thing.
>
> He was wrong.

Gee, thanks for the hot tip! Next, you'll probably tell me that Kennedy won
the '60 election!