From: Newell White on
I have several XP SP3 machines on our W2k3 AD network which have been
infected with something which

(a) Disables the DHCP client
(b) Sets IP address and net mask to 0.0.0.0
(c) Disables search for files in explorer
(d) Cause MBAM to halt with a run-time error which refers to an invalid .ocx
file which is not present on machines which can run MBAM

I can't see anything obvious with Autoruns.exe, and McAfee Corporate
anti-virus finds nothing.

Does this sound familiar?
--
Regards,
Newell White
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Newell White" <NewellWhite(a)discussions.microsoft.com>

| I have several XP SP3 machines on our W2k3 AD network which have been
| infected with something which

| (a) Disables the DHCP client
| (b) Sets IP address and net mask to 0.0.0.0
| (c) Disables search for files in explorer
| (d) Cause MBAM to halt with a run-time error which refers to an invalid .ocx
| file which is not present on machines which can run MBAM

| I can't see anything obvious with Autoruns.exe, and McAfee Corporate
| anti-virus finds nothing.

| Does this sound familiar?

Nope, sounds like a DHCP issue.

As for the MBAM issue (and I assume you are a corporate customer) post about your problem
in the Malwarebytes' forums...
http://forums.malwarebytes.org

--
Dave

From: Newell White on

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> From: "Newell White" <NewellWhite(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | I have several XP SP3 machines on our W2k3 AD network which have been
> | infected with something which
>
> | (a) Disables the DHCP client
> | (b) Sets IP address and net mask to 0.0.0.0
> | (c) Disables search for files in explorer
> | (d) Cause MBAM to halt with a run-time error which refers to an invalid .ocx
> | file which is not present on machines which can run MBAM
>
> | I can't see anything obvious with Autoruns.exe, and McAfee Corporate
> | anti-virus finds nothing.
>
> | Does this sound familiar?
>
> Nope, sounds like a DHCP issue.
>
> As for the MBAM issue (and I assume you are a corporate customer) post about your problem
> in the Malwarebytes' forums...
> http://forums.malwarebytes.org
>

> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>

> .
How does a DHCP failure explain the refusal to search for files in Windows
Explorer?

Further investigation shows that most services are not running.
Trying to start the DHCP client service results in
'Error 193: 0xc3'

--
Newell White

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
Could this be a symptom of svchost.exe being quarantined or deleted by
McAfee?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org>

| Could this be a symptom of svchost.exe being quarantined or deleted by
| McAfee?

Could very well be as SVCHOST is the Sefver Daemon of NT Services and thus the OS is hosed
if he had used the affected 5598 DAT file.

--
Dave