From: BillW50 on
In
Jose typed on Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:10:47 -0700 (PDT):
> Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
> detection programs:
>
> Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
> SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> These can be uninstalled later if desired.

Hi Jose, I never tried these two so I downloaded them and installed them
one at a time.

Malwarebytes found three files in an unused part by XP called
$RECYCLE.BIN. One file was called explorer.exe interesting enough. I
forgot what the other two were. All three files MBAM had called worms.
Oddly enough when it finished, I got no warning and it rebooted. This is
a very bad thing to do IMHO. It should warn you before it does this. I
could have had lots of unsaved work.

SUPERAntiSpyware found like 162 spyware cookies, which I see as no big
deal. Although it stated it needed to reboot to clear some of them out.
Ok, no problem. Rebooted and Windows hangs about 20 seconds into it.

Safe Mode works, but refuses to uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware and states
that the Windows Installer service may not be running. But it does allow
Malwarebytes to be uninstalled interesting enough. So the only way I
could get XP to boot normally is by renaming the folder that
SUPERAntiSpyware lives in. Once loaded, I renamed it back and then it
would uninstall.

I don't know about you? But both of these programs are acting like
malware themselves. And I am not that impressed. I am running Avast 4.8
and MS EWF is disabled.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

From: Richard on
> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote in message
> In news:bac63818-273a-46ec-940b-201754bd8cec(a)l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
> Jose typed on Thu, 1 Oct 2009 09:10:47 -0700 (PDT):
>> Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
>> detection programs:
>>
>> Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
>> SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/
>>
>> These can be uninstalled later if desired.
>
> Hi Jose, I never tried these two so I downloaded them and installed them
> one at a time.
>
> Malwarebytes found three files in an unused part by XP called
> $RECYCLE.BIN. One file was called explorer.exe interesting enough. I
> forgot what the other two were. All three files MBAM had called worms.
> Oddly enough when it finished, I got no warning and it rebooted. This is a
> very bad thing to do IMHO. It should warn you before it does this. I could
> have had lots of unsaved work.
>
> SUPERAntiSpyware found like 162 spyware cookies, which I see as no big
> deal. Although it stated it needed to reboot to clear some of them out.
> Ok, no problem. Rebooted and Windows hangs about 20 seconds into it.
>
> Safe Mode works, but refuses to uninstall SUPERAntiSpyware and states that
> the Windows Installer service may not be running. But it does allow
> Malwarebytes to be uninstalled interesting enough. So the only way I could
> get XP to boot normally is by renaming the folder that SUPERAntiSpyware
> lives in. Once loaded, I renamed it back and then it would uninstall.
>
> I don't know about you? But both of these programs are acting like malware
> themselves. And I am not that impressed. I am running Avast 4.8 and MS EWF
> is disabled.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

Hi Bill,

I found your observations about the performance of those 2 anti-malware
products informative. Thanks. (Why doesn't your tag line say SP3? :)

I too find it strange that MBAM would reboot without warning. The times that
I ran MBAM on another family member's computer, it did not find anything. I
installed Avast 4.8 on that machine after the MBAM scan. Did you disable
your Avast before the MBAM scan? Of course, most people that would use MBAM
to root out malware would not likely be doing ordinary computer work, and
therefore have no work that needs to be saved before reboot. It is always
good advice to close all open programs before installing software, or
running any kind of "full scan" program that is likely to be CPU intensive.
(But yeah, a warning would be nice. :)

I'm not surprised that MBAM uninstalled without incident. One of the reasons
that it is better than most anti-malware at rooting out infections, is
because it relies less upon the Windows operating system, and doesn't have
its hooks in everything. (I'm thinking back to a faded memory of NAV.)

I'm guessing that the SAS uninstall problem was because it still had
unfinished business, due to a botched reboot. Thanks for pointing out the
method you used to get it to uninstall. I wouldn't have thought of that.

(Triple-click here, to be of good cheer. :)
--Richard
WinXP Pro SP3 IE6 NOD32
- - -

From: Jose on
On Oct 10, 5:23 pm, "Richard" <rich...(a)avbtab.org> wrote:
> [...]
> therefore have no work that needs to be saved before reboot. It is always
> good advice to close all open programs before installing software, or
> running any kind of "full scan" program that is likely to be CPU intensive.
> (But yeah, a warning would be nice. :)
>
> I'm not surprised that MBAM uninstalled without incident. One of the reasons
> that it is better than most anti-malware at rooting out infections, is
> because it relies less upon the Windows operating system, and doesn't have
> its hooks in everything. (I'm thinking back to a faded memory of NAV.)
>
> I'm guessing that the SAS uninstall problem was because it still had
> unfinished business, due to a botched reboot. Thanks for pointing out the
> method you used to get it to uninstall. I wouldn't have thought of that.
>
> (Triple-click here, to be of good cheer. :)

I have never encountered nor can explain these reported behaviors.
From: BillW50 on
In news:%23u8V%23UlSKHA.352(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Richard typed on Sat, 10 Oct 2009 17:23:48 -0400:
> Hi Bill,
>
> I found your observations about the performance of those 2
> anti-malware products informative. Thanks. (Why doesn't your tag line
> say SP3? :)

Hi Richard! Why is my XP at SP2? For a number of reasons actually.

1) Microsoft EWF doesn't work with SP3.

2) This modern netbook for example only has 4G and SP3 won't fit on it
anyway. And some of my other computers that I put SP3 on, I have
regretted it.

And I have found your observations very informative too. ;-)

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

From: BillW50 on

"Richard" <richard(a)avbtab.org> wrote in message
> Hi Bill,
>
> I found your observations about the performance of those 2
> anti-malware
> products informative. Thanks. (Why doesn't your tag line say SP3? :)
>
> I too find it strange that MBAM would reboot without warning. The
> times that
> I ran MBAM on another family member's computer, it did not find
> anything. I
> installed Avast 4.8 on that machine after the MBAM scan. Did you
> disable
> your Avast before the MBAM scan?...

Hi Richard! Oops! No I didn't. Did you?

--