From: EM on

My OS reads and can copy to a SanDisk 2GB SD camera card, for instance,
but does neither with a Kodak SDHC 4GB camera card.

I found 2 hotfixes on MS support site related to this problem;
I use a 32 bit system XP Pro, and it seems like hotfix will apply just to
this problem, but I'm wary to save (or open) the hotfix's .exe b/c a message
pops up before the option to open it saying that the publisher (of this
hotfix) is not recognized.

Not wanting to compromise my computer security, would anyone know if it is
safe to go ahead and open this zip.exe file?

Here is the hotfix link sent to me when I requested it:
http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/sp3/Fix195493/2600/free/297201_ENU_i386_zip.exe

Then, if I'm about to take a risk like this, how do I backup the system to
reinstall it and
how would I reinstall it should this hotfix hurt it?
(or where would I go to learn to do this?)

Thank you.
From: BillW50 on
In news:9098368A-A72F-463A-9C02-546B034B20AC(a)microsoft.com,
EM typed on Sun, 4 Oct 2009 10:32:01 -0700:
> My OS reads and can copy to a SanDisk 2GB SD camera card, for
> instance,
> but does neither with a Kodak SDHC 4GB camera card.
>
> I found 2 hotfixes on MS support site related to this problem;
> I use a 32 bit system XP Pro, and it seems like hotfix will apply
> just to this problem, but I'm wary to save (or open) the hotfix's
> .exe b/c a message pops up before the option to open it saying that
> the publisher (of this hotfix) is not recognized.
>
> Not wanting to compromise my computer security, would anyone know if
> it is safe to go ahead and open this zip.exe file?
>
> Here is the hotfix link sent to me when I requested it:
> http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/sp3/Fix195493/2600/free/297201_ENU_i386_zip.exe
>
> Then, if I'm about to take a risk like this, how do I backup the
> system to reinstall it and
> how would I reinstall it should this hotfix hurt it?
> (or where would I go to learn to do this?)
>
> Thank you.

Are you sure your card reader can read SDHC (larger than 2GB) cards?
This laptop has a built in SD card reader, but this one is worse. It
only reads and writes to 1GB max. The fix is to use one of those USB
card readers and I can read up to 32GB SDHC cards. You can buy them
(card readers) for just a penny including shipping on eBay believe it or
not.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2