From: Lothar Belle on
Hi!
We are going to migrate our AD2000 to 2008 R2
In this Domain there is a Exchange 2003 Server.
How can i manage the Users from a Windows 2008 R2 Server?
The setup gives an Error Message "There is a Kompatibility Problem".

The other way is to manage the users on a XP-Client / 2003-Server,
but i only the adminpak.msi from windows 2008 R2 is only available for
Windows 2008 / Vista

Thank you very much for your reply in advance

Best regards
Lothar

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Comments inline below.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

"Lothar Belle" <tqsystems(a)web.de> wrote in message
> Hi!
> We are going to migrate our AD2000 to 2008 R2

Define "migrate".

> In this Domain there is a Exchange 2003 Server.
> How can i manage the Users from a Windows 2008 R2 Server?

Do you need to? Why not just upgrade? If you are trying to upgrade, then I
believe you're going to need to upgrade the domain to Windows 2003 first and
then install SP2.

> The setup gives an Error Message "There is a Kompatibility Problem".

Something tells me that there is more to the error message than that. If
you want help, you should give us all the information about what you are
doing and the complete text of all messages you receive.

> The other way is to manage the users on a XP-Client / 2003-Server,
> but i only the adminpak.msi from windows 2008 R2 is only available for
> Windows 2008 / Vista

It probably doesn't matter much which version of the Windows administrative
tools you use to manage users, although you should try to use the version
matching the operating system. For Exchange, however, you must use the
tools matching the version of Exchange you are running.

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Which whitepaper says that you don't need to upgrade through Windows 2003?
I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know the reference.

You can probably still use the Exchange 2003 tools to manage users in the
Windows 2008 domain since there aren't many changes if any. But I would
recommend that you upgrade your client operating system or use terminal
services to a server that is the correct version.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

From: Lothar Belle on
> Which whitepaper says that you don't need to upgrade through Windows 2003?
> I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know the reference.
One Referenz is here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(WS.10).aspx

> You can probably still use the Exchange 2003 tools to manage users in the
> Windows 2008 domain since there aren't many changes if any. But I would
> recommend that you upgrade your client operating system or use terminal
> services to a server that is the correct version.
I only need the Extensions in "Actice Directory Users and Computers"
These Extensions i get by runing the Exchange setup. ( Which doesn`t work -
see below)

From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
Right, Exchange 2003 is not supported on Windows 2008, so you'll have to use
the older tools.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..

>> Which whitepaper says that you don't need to upgrade through Windows
>> 2003? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'd just like to know the reference.
> One Referenz is here:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733027(WS.10).aspx
>

>> You can probably still use the Exchange 2003 tools to manage users in the
>> Windows 2008 domain since there aren't many changes if any. But I would
>> recommend that you upgrade your client operating system or use terminal
>> services to a server that is the correct version.
> I only need the Extensions in "Actice Directory Users and Computers"
> These Extensions i get by runing the Exchange setup. ( Which doesn`t
> work - see below)
>
>> --
>> Ed Crowley MVP
>> "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
>> .
>>
>> "Lothar Belle" <tqsystems(a)web.de> wrote in message
>>> Comments inline below.

>>> Sorry Migrate is the wrong word. We indeed upgrade our AD
>>> ( adprep /... -> Integrate a further win 2008 Server into the domain
>>> with dcpromo)

>>> Accordingly to the white papers there is no need to upgrade first to
>>> 2003
>>> There are some features not available in AD2000 we want to use.
>>> Wy should we upgrade in year 2010 to Windows 2003, which probably looses
>>> support
>>> in a few years.

>>> The Error message (my translation):
>>> "This Program is blocked due to compatibility issues"
>>> See also attachment

>>> Exactly this is the problem: the (2008) adminpak.msi isn`t available vor
>>> XP / 2003
>>> ( I have to install both adminpak.msi and Exchange Managing tools to
>>> manage users)
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your reply in advance
>>> Best regards
>>> Lothar
>>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2