From: Mike O. on
We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users. We're
looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
months.

I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010. Some of our
main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.

The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was the
one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.

I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on several
of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).

The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages, must
be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least it
should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.

At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.

Mike O.

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:47 -0500, "Mike O." <putthespam(a)thecan.com>
wrote:

>We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users. We're
>looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
>months.
>
>I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010. Some of our
>main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>
>The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was the
>one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
>past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>
>I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
>useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on several
>of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>
>The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages, must
>be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least it
>should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>
>At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>
>Mike O.

I won't do Bill Stanek's book down but it had to have more than on MS
KB article published to correct it. I'd wait for Jim's book.

Wait and play with the product. If you haven't been on the TAP for the
last year you're not going to be in a position to deploy it properly
until April anyway. If you have been using it for a year or so then
you don't need the category of book you have been looking at so far.
From: Mike O. on

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark(a)mvps.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:21:47 -0500, "Mike O." <putthespam(a)thecan.com>
> wrote:
>
>>We currently have an Exchange 2007 environment with about 5000 users.
>>We're
>>looking at migrating to Exchange 2010, probably in the next couple of
>>months.
>>
>>I am looking for recommendations for a book on Exchange 2010. Some of our
>>main areas are in data redundancy and migration from 2007.
>>
>>The Jim McBee and David Elfassy book, Mastering Exchange Server 2010 was
>>the
>>one I was looking for first (we've used the "Mastering.." series in the
>>past), but it looks like it's not going to be released until April.
>>
>>I came across the "Exchange 2010 Unleashed" that looked like it might be
>>useful, but found some reviews that it didn't go into much depth on
>>several
>>of the topics that we'd be looking into (DAG, migration, etc.).
>>
>>The "Exchange server 2010 Administrators Pocket Consultant" (700 pages,
>>must
>>be a big pocket!) is out, and since it's a Microsoft Press book, at least
>>it
>>should be accurate, but I'm not sure how much in depth it goes.
>>
>>At $60 per book, I want to try to get something that I can use.
>>
>>Mike O.
>
> I won't do Bill Stanek's book down but it had to have more than on MS
> KB article published to correct it. I'd wait for Jim's book.
>
> Wait and play with the product. If you haven't been on the TAP for the
> last year you're not going to be in a position to deploy it properly
> until April anyway. If you have been using it for a year or so then
> you don't need the category of book you have been looking at so far.

Thanks for the info.

We wouldn't be doing any significant migration for a while (probably at
least a few months), but what I was looking to do was to start getting more
familiar with the changes and maybe do an initial setup in the next month or
so. I've got some fairly recent hardware available that I can use, at
least for an initial group. I'd only move a handful of users to it (myself
and some of the other tech staff) at first, but I'd like to get a
configuration pretty close to production so that when we're ready to go
live, I can just add some memory and disk to make it the production box,
then re-use our Exchange 2007 boxes as the redundant servers.

If I'm going to wait on the book, are there any specific whitepapers,
technet articles, etc. that you recommend to get some more information?

MIke O.

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
www.msexchange.org
Look at the tutorials.
From: Ed Crowley [MVP] on
The TechNet product documentation is also pretty good.
--
Ed Crowley MVP
..