From: Christopher Grove on
Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to Sharepoint (first day of using it) and am trying to
organise it for our company.
One of the first things I'm having problems with is the calendar and from
what I can see having googled on the subject I may not be the only one...
Still, I hope that you guys can help me.

We use Outlook & Dynamics CRM already and we're looking to use Sharepoint to
organise how we class our project files and how we organise our time... We'd
like to be able to have a master calendar that takes into account the
calendar events/appointments in the calendars of each subgroup. That way, we
can enter our appointments in the calendar for the project subgroup, and it
will be taken into account by the main/master/overall calendar.

At least that's what we'd like.
And I can't see how that's done. Can anyone help me out with this please?

And of course the next step would be to synchronise that with Outlook. Is
there any way of getting around the side by side calendars in Outlook and
having a direct synchronization (Sharepoint to Outlook)? I can't see users
adopting it if they have to slide every calendar appointment to their Outlook
calendar...

I believe we're using the latest version of Sharepoint (MOSS 2007?).

Many thanks in advance if you can help me with this!

Best regards,
Christopher
--
Christopher Grove
From: Jay Brooks on
On Jan 13, 12:51 pm, Christopher Grove
<ChristopherGr...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I'm pretty new to Sharepoint (first day of using it) and am trying to
> organise it for our company.
> One of the first things I'm having problems with is the calendar and from
> what I can see having googled on the subject I may not be the only one...
> Still, I hope that you guys can help me.
>
> We use Outlook & Dynamics CRM already and we're looking to use Sharepoint to
> organise how we class our project files  and how we organise our time.... We'd
> like to be able to have a master calendar that takes into account the
> calendar events/appointments in the calendars of each subgroup. That way, we
> can enter our appointments in the calendar for the project subgroup, and it
> will be taken into account by the main/master/overall calendar.
>
> At least that's what we'd like.
> And I can't see how that's done. Can anyone help me out with this please?
>
> And of course the next step would be to synchronise that with Outlook. Is
> there any way of getting around the side by side calendars in Outlook and
> having a direct synchronization (Sharepoint to Outlook)? I can't see users
> adopting it if they have to slide every calendar appointment to their Outlook
> calendar...
>
> I believe we're using the latest version of Sharepoint (MOSS 2007?).
>
> Many thanks in advance if you can help me with this!
>
> Best regards,
> Christopher
> --
> Christopher Grove

I want others to reply too but my understand goes like this...

SharePoint is all about lists and libraries.

A calendar is just a fancy list with dates (as far as SP is
concerned).

Here's how to get started...

View the calendar on the SP site. In the upper right notice the
"views" option. The idea is that you can categorize calendar events
(as they are being entered) by whatever criteria you want... i.e.,
subgroup1, subgroup2, etc. Then you can create views to see just the
events from a given subgroup or all items or some combo.

Here are some steps: Edit the settings for your calendar under
"Settings - List Settings". Add a column and make it a multi-value
thingy... as in a dropdown or radio buttons and then list your
subgroups. Now when you enter a new calenard item you can choose the
appropriate subgroup.

Now create some views back under "Settings - List Settings" and filter
on your subgroups. Create a view for each subgroup.

Lastly, use "Actions - Connect to Outlook" to bring the calendar into
outlook. In Outlook 2007 you have the option of side-by-side or
integrated. I'm not sure about subscribing to a given view vs. the
entire calendar. Also, with the calenards connected (SP and Outlook)
people can add items in Outlook and they will appear on the SP
calendar. I'm not sure how to enforce your subgroups design when this
happens but you could create an "Uncategroized" view to see these
items and then link them to the right subgroup.

Hope this helps...

Bottom line... learn about lists, columns, and views to get what you
want -- the fact that it's a calendar vs. some other kind of list has
little to do with it.
From: Jay Brooks on
On Jan 13, 3:25 pm, Jay Brooks <jayhbro...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>
> Now create some views back under "Settings - List Settings" and filter
> on your subgroups. Create a view for each subgroup.
>
> Lastly, use "Actions - Connect to Outlook" to bring the calendar into
> outlook. In Outlook 2007 you have the option of side-by-side or
> integrated. I'm not sure about subscribing to a given view vs. the
> entire calendar. Also, with the calenards connected (SP and Outlook)
> people can add items in Outlook and they will appear on the SP
> calendar. I'm not sure how to enforce your subgroups design when this
> happens but you could create an "Uncategroized" view to see these
> items and then link them to the right subgroup.
>
> Hope this helps...
>
> Bottom line... learn about lists, columns, and views to get what you
> want -- the fact that it's a calendar vs. some other kind of list has
> little to do with it.- Hide quoted text -

I just did a quick test....

The column type you want is "Choice." FYI.

The Connect to Outlook function doesn't respect views in the calendar
-- your team will see all calendar items. They would need to visit the
SP site to filter out or zoom in on specfic subgroups. Others may know
more me (at least I pray so :-)).

Pages: 1
Prev: Resolution?
Next: Add a Workflow error