From: Fred on
Hello,

We have to deal with date ranges (start_date, end_date).
We wrote some basics table function that return intersection, union,
exclusion having two table variable parameters.
We also sometime need to clean such a table (so that the ranges won't
intersect).
It works but I guess it can be improved.
Do you know some best practices for this kind of requirement ?

--
Fred
foleide(a)free.fr

From: Plamen Ratchev on
An excellent reading on the topic is Developing Time-Oriented Database Applications in SQL by Richard Snodgrass:
http://www.cs.arizona.edu/~rts/tdbbook.pdf

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: --CELKO-- on
Also look at:

" Managing Time in Relational Databases How to Design, Update and
Query Temporal Data" by Tom Johnston and Randall Weis

http://www.elsevierdirect.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780123750419

From: Fred on
Thanks Plamen and Joe,

I had a quick look at Richard Snodgrass' book. I didn't buy Tom Johnston
and Randall Weis book yet.
Chapter 4 looks like what I did (It calls Periods what I was calling
Ranges, and predicates a larger set of what I was calling operations).
I didn't find yet something about applying the predicates to sets of
periods.
My solution needs a cursor. Do you think I could post it here so that
you can tell me your advice ?
(I have to translate and clean it first)

--
Fred
foleide(a)free.fr

From: Dan Guzman on
> My solution needs a cursor. Do you think I could post it here so that you
> can tell me your advice ?
> (I have to translate and clean it first)

Yes, I think code will help. Set-based processing can be definitely be used
with temporal data.

--
Hope this helps.

Dan Guzman
SQL Server MVP
http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/dang/

"Fred" <foleide(a)free.fr.invalid> wrote in message
> Thanks Plamen and Joe,
>
> I had a quick look at Richard Snodgrass' book. I didn't buy Tom Johnston
> and Randall Weis book yet.
> Chapter 4 looks like what I did (It calls Periods what I was calling
> Ranges, and predicates a larger set of what I was calling operations).
> I didn't find yet something about applying the predicates to sets of
> periods.
> My solution needs a cursor. Do you think I could post it here so that you
> can tell me your advice ?
> (I have to translate and clean it first)
>
> --
> Fred
> foleide(a)free.fr

 |  Next  |  Last