From: jpBless on
Thanks GS, MikeB, MikeD, Clive Lamb for your time and input. I really
appreciate. I installed "Outlook Redemption" suggested by Clive Lamb and the
it works OK (for now). The security warning stopped. Although I would love
to have intrinsic VB solution to this proble,

Again thank you all for helping... much appreciated.

From: Mayayana on
| Although I would love
| to have intrinsic VB solution to this proble,

I'm not really familiar with IMAP, but isn't that
only for retrieval? I don't understand why you
can't use VB SMTP code (like vbSendMail) to
email through gmail. There are specs here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

Is it possible that you used the wrong port?
(Most email now requires authentication, using
port 587 rather than 25, but using authentication
is not problematic in terms of coding it.)

I noticed that gmail
SMTP also uses a secure logon. That might be
an issue. I don't know what's involved in doing
that, but it might be worth looking into. It would
probably require checking whether a secure
connection is required during the initial EHLO
exchange (which is easy) and then being ready
to encrypt the communication (which may not
be easy...I don't know). There's a page here
about TLS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

If you figure it out maybe you can post the
code back here. :) It looks like it probably
requires at least an additional encryption
lib., though. (capicom?)