From: John McWilliams on
When I play Flash based video, such as on NYTimes site, or youtube, fans
on my MacBookPro start whirring.

Looking at usage, it's always the WebKitPluginHost that is eating ca.
30-60% of CPU. Is this normal?

I do have Cosmopod installed, and a blocker plugin that prevents Flash
from automatically playing. Don't know how to easily uninstall to test
if they are part of the problem, so appreciate if anyone has a take on
this.

I did find a large (20 Megs +) plugin in my Internet Plug-ins library
called Silverlight, which I disabled. Not sure what its function is, or
where it came from.
The other plugin that is not from a know source is:

"MoveNetworks Quantum Media Player"
npmnqmp 071505000006 — from file “Move-Media-Player.plugin”.
MIME Type Description Extensions
application/x-vnd.movenetworks.qm MoveNetworks Move Media Player Plug-In qmx
application/x-vnd.moveplay1.qm MoveNetworks Move Media Player Plug-In qmx

Again, not sure when or why I installed it.

--
John McWilliams
From: JF Mezei on
John McWilliams wrote:
> When I play Flash based video, such as on NYTimes site, or youtube, fans
> on my MacBookPro start whirring.
>
> Looking at usage, it's always the WebKitPluginHost that is eating ca.
> 30-60% of CPU. Is this normal?

Yep. There is an application called "temperature monitor". From Marcel
Bresink Software Systeme. You can download a free versions which can
show you the CPU temperature. You will see it climb the minute to start
to view compressed video.

Another application of lost of apetite for CPU is Google Earth when you
enter flight simulator mode.

The fans on the MacBook have variable speed depending on cpu
temperature. When CPU temp gets over 80� (C), you start to notice the
fans increasing speed.
From: BreadWithSpam on
John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> writes:

> When I play Flash based video, such as on NYTimes site, or youtube,
> fans on my MacBookPro start whirring.

> I did find a large (20 Megs +) plugin in my Internet Plug-ins library
> called Silverlight, which I disabled. Not sure what its function is,

It's Microsoft's equivalent to Flash.

NetFlix's streaming video uses it, for example.

I've not noticed it being any more of a CPU hog than Flash is,
but that's not saying much, as Flash is nasty.

I have no idea how folks can stand browsing the web without
Flashblock (or click2flash or equiv.)

From: John McWilliams on
JF Mezei wrote:
> John McWilliams wrote:
>> When I play Flash based video, such as on NYTimes site, or youtube, fans
>> on my MacBookPro start whirring.
>>
>> Looking at usage, it's always the WebKitPluginHost that is eating ca.
>> 30-60% of CPU. Is this normal?
>
> Yep. There is an application called "temperature monitor". From Marcel
> Bresink Software Systeme. You can download a free versions which can
> show you the CPU temperature. You will see it climb the minute to start
> to view compressed video.
>
> Another application of lost of apetite for CPU is Google Earth when you
> enter flight simulator mode.
>
> The fans on the MacBook have variable speed depending on cpu
> temperature. When CPU temp gets over 80° (C), you start to notice the
> fans increasing speed.

I have iStat installed, and am familiar with fans kicking on as
temperature rises, but I am interested in the causality that the
software may be involved in, to avoid CPU peaking as it does with Flash
videos.

Thanks, though.

--
john mcwilliams
From: John McWilliams on
BreadWithSpam(a)fractious.net wrote:
> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> writes:
>
>> When I play Flash based video, such as on NYTimes site, or youtube,
>> fans on my MacBookPro start whirring.
>
>> I did find a large (20 Megs +) plugin in my Internet Plug-ins library
>> called Silverlight, which I disabled. Not sure what its function is,
>
> It's Microsoft's equivalent to Flash.
>
> NetFlix's streaming video uses it, for example.
>
> I've not noticed it being any more of a CPU hog than Flash is,
> but that's not saying much, as Flash is nasty.
>
> I have no idea how folks can stand browsing the web without
> Flashblock (or click2flash or equiv.)

Ah, makes sense. I've disabled the MS plugin, as so far every dang thing
I run into is Flash, and takes the CPUs into fan running fast territory.
Might Flashblock add to the overhead? I am not sure how to disable it to
test. Same with Cosmopod, though I can uninstall it if it's a likely
culprit. But, if everyone else is experiencing 50% or so spikes in CPU
usage when viewing Flash content, I won't bother.

And I do wonder why everyone has moved to Flash- is if for copy
protection? For instance, as the Larry Sanders show I wanted to see was
dropping and buffering all the time (Comcast sucks here this a.m.) I
tried to capture it with Cosmopod, but it cleverly saves only the
commercial. Pooey.

--
john mcwilliams

Pages: 1