Prev: Rope
Next: UG vs Mastercam
From: Cliff on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 04:31:38 -0500, "vinny" <vinny(a)vp3d.net> wrote:

> Let me guess, you window in your whole part and click the big red easy
>button?
>
>Seriously...what is it??

Like the famed ComputerVision "Make Part" command?
("Dimension Part" was a charmer !)
--
Cliff
From: Joe788 on
On Feb 22, 1:34 pm, Steve Mackay <mackay.st...(a)att.net> wrote:

> I think everyone is still in a state of shock on the 2 or 3 ON TOPIC
> posts this past week.

What's the difference because as per usual in this newsgroup no real
or meaningful content is discussed. This has been the case for many
years now.

For example:

Is there an significant difference between VoluMill and Surfcam's
Trumill toolpath stratagies?

Does DP Technology Esprit 5th axis surfacing toolpath cutting
technology, that DP got when they acquired Auton really make 5th axis
programming easier compared to what everyone else is licensing from
ModuleWorks and using? Cimatron, Gibbscam, Mastercam, Surfcam,
SolidCAM, CAMWorks, etc all use ModuleWorks toolpath software
components. DP Technology doesn't.

No discussion of CAM VAR's disappearing like crazy and what this
means.

No discussion of the FACT that it looks pretty clear that SolidWorks
has won the market and that a major shift is just started to occur in
places like California where a major machining job shop in San Diego
dumped 5 seats of Mastercam and went with the integrated solutions of
SolidWorks and OpenMind Hypermill.
That shop would be San Diego's 5th Axis CNC. When I say dumped, I mean
exactly that. 5th Axis CNC doesn't use Mastercam any longer for
anything period.

How can Siemens NX be a factor when Siemens can't market to small
machining job shops and leaves this up to their VAR network which
isn't anywhere near as good or as strong as SolidWorks VAR network.
Further, Siemens isn't making any progress in this area which leads me
to believe that integrated solutions to SolidWorks will easily win out
over NX for the foreseeable future. For those that need to seriously
modify dumb solids very affordable solutions to do what SolidWorks
can't do (direct modeling) like SpaceClaim are available to help one
deal with SolidWorks continued serious limitation of working with dumb
solids.

So while some content has returned it's not in anyway really helpful
or meaningful CADCAM content and certainly doesn't address what's
currently happening in the CADCAM market.

From: Joe788 on
On Feb 22, 8:01 am, Joe788 <larryro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 1:34 pm, Steve Mackay <mackay.st...(a)att.net> wrote:
>
> > I think everyone is still in a state of shock on the 2 or 3 ON TOPIC
> > posts this past week.
>
> What's the difference because as per usual in this newsgroup no real
> or meaningful content is discussed. This has been the case for many
> years now.

No Jon. Meaningful content is created by people who actually use the
software, inquiring about actual functions of the software. You can't
"create" meaningful content by reading a bunch of press releases, and
then rattling off a bunch of random buzzwords. Your blog and it's 8
comments should have taught you that by now.

> For example:
>
> Is there an significant difference between VoluMill and Surfcam's
> Trumill toolpath stratagies?
>
> Does DP Technology Esprit 5th axis surfacing toolpath cutting
> technology, that DP got when they acquired Auton really make 5th axis
> programming easier compared to what everyone else is licensing from
> ModuleWorks and using? Cimatron, Gibbscam, Mastercam, Surfcam,
> SolidCAM, CAMWorks, etc all use ModuleWorks toolpath software
> components. DP Technology doesn't.
>
> No discussion of CAM VAR's disappearing like crazy and what this
> means.

How many CAM VARs have "disappeared", Jon?

> No discussion of the FACT that it looks pretty clear that SolidWorks
> has won the market and that a major shift is just started to occur in
> places like California where a major machining job shop in San Diego
> dumped 5 seats of Mastercam and went with the integrated solutions of
> SolidWorks and OpenMind Hypermill.
> That shop would be San Diego's 5th Axis CNC. When I say dumped, I mean
> exactly that. 5th Axis CNC doesn't use Mastercam any longer for
> anything period.

Please use actual FACTS to back up your supposed "FACT", Jon. Why
would anybody be surprised that a shop specializing in 5 axis work,
would move to a software that specializes in 5 axis toolpath creation?
Can you please list 5 more shops that have "dumped" Mastercam?

> How can Siemens NX be a factor when Siemens can't market to small
> machining job shops and leaves this up to their VAR network which
> isn't anywhere near as good or as strong as SolidWorks VAR network.
> Further, Siemens isn't making any progress in this area which leads me
> to believe that integrated solutions to SolidWorks will easily win out
> over NX for the foreseeable future. For those that need to seriously
> modify dumb solids very affordable solutions to do what SolidWorks
> can't do (direct modeling) like SpaceClaim are available to help one
> deal with SolidWorks continued serious limitation of working with dumb
> solids.
>
> So while some content has returned it's not in anyway really helpful
> or meaningful CADCAM content and certainly doesn't address what's
> currently happening in the CADCAM market.

Again, more meaningless babble on subjects you don't have any
experience with whatsoever.

From: Cliff on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:01:21 -0800 (PST), Joe788 <larryrozer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 1:34 pm, Steve Mackay <mackay.st...(a)att.net> wrote:
>
>> I think everyone is still in a state of shock on the 2 or 3 ON TOPIC
>> posts this past week.
>
>What's the difference because as per usual in this newsgroup no real
>or meaningful content is discussed. This has been the case for many
>years now.
>
>For example:
>
>Is there an significant difference between VoluMill and Surfcam's
>Trumill toolpath stratagies?
>
>Does DP Technology Esprit 5th axis surfacing toolpath cutting
>technology, that DP got when they acquired Auton really make 5th axis
>programming easier compared to what everyone else is licensing from
>ModuleWorks and using? Cimatron, Gibbscam, Mastercam, Surfcam,
>SolidCAM, CAMWorks, etc all use ModuleWorks toolpath software
>components. DP Technology doesn't.
>
>No discussion of CAM VAR's disappearing like crazy and what this
>means.
>
>No discussion of the FACT that it looks pretty clear that SolidWorks
>has won the market and that a major shift is just started to occur in
>places like California where a major machining job shop in San Diego
>dumped 5 seats of Mastercam and went with the integrated solutions of
>SolidWorks and OpenMind Hypermill.
>That shop would be San Diego's 5th Axis CNC. When I say dumped, I mean
>exactly that. 5th Axis CNC doesn't use Mastercam any longer for
>anything period.
>
>How can Siemens NX be a factor when Siemens can't market to small
>machining job shops and leaves this up to their VAR network which
>isn't anywhere near as good or as strong as SolidWorks VAR network.
>Further, Siemens isn't making any progress in this area which leads me
>to believe that integrated solutions to SolidWorks will easily win out
>over NX for the foreseeable future. For those that need to seriously
>modify dumb solids very affordable solutions to do what SolidWorks
>can't do (direct modeling) like SpaceClaim are available to help one
>deal with SolidWorks continued serious limitation of working with dumb
>solids.
>
>So while some content has returned it's not in anyway really helpful
>or meaningful CADCAM content and certainly doesn't address what's
>currently happening in the CADCAM market.

What became of Sliced Bread?
--
Cliff
From: Cliff on
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 08:01:21 -0800 (PST), Joe788 <larryrozer(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>That shop would be San Diego's 5th Axis CNC.

I doubt you can count to 5 (five). Even using both hands
& moving your lips.
--
Cliff

Pages: 1