From: Alex Francis on
I will begin my freshman year as an Electrical Engineering major in
about two weeks and I'm very anxious. I have always been good at math
growing up but I seemed to hit a plateau when I reached my junior year
of high school in my Algebra 2 class. I barely passed the class with a
C- and ever since junior year of high school, my confidence in my math
skills have dramatically decreased. During my senior year I developed
a strong interest for music technology and I decided to major in
Electrical Engineering in college so I could one day build the
electronic music instruments I daydreamed about in music technology
magazines and websites. I placed into College Algebra for Fall
Semester so it might take me 5 years to catch up with my math skills
since certain science courses have math prerequisites. I'm not worried
about the extra year of study, but what I am worried about is my
ability to rekindle my confidence and enjoyment of mathematics. Does
anyone have any insight, personal experiences, or excellent math
textbooks that I can use to supplement my Electrical Engineering
curriculum? I really want to remain an Electrical Engineering major
because I truly have a passion for designing music technology. Thank
you in advance for taking the time out to read and contribute your
helpful ideas.