From: William Elliot on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:

>>> If B is a Boolean ring with identity and I a proper prime ideal,
>>> then I is maximal ideal.
>>>
>>> If J ideal, I subset J and a in J\I, then
>>> a not in I; a(a + 1) = 0 in I; a + 1 in I;
>>> a + 1 in J; 1 = a + a + 1 in J; J = B.
>>>
>>> Can the same be said of Boolean rings without identity?
>
> Ok, here's a counterexample (I think) ...
>
> Let A be the boolean ring with identity defined as the quotient
>
> A = Z_2[x,y] / (x^2-x, y^2-y)
>
> and let B = (x,y), the ideal of A generated by x,y.
>
> Then B is a Boolean ring without identity, and in the ring B, the zero
> ideal is prime but not maximal.

If B is a Boolean ring without identity, then
not some a with for all x, ax = x;
for all a, some x with ax /= x, a(ax + x) = 0.

ie, every non-zero element is a zero divisor.
(If 1 in B, every element except 0 and 1, is a zero divisor.)

Let a /= 0. Thus some x with ax /= x, a(ax + x) = 0;
a(ax + x) in (0) = {0}; a = 0 or ax + x = 0, huh?
That's a no, no. (0) isn't prime unless B = {0}.

(0) is a prime ideal iff the ring has no zero divisors.

Proposition. A prime ideal of a Boolean ring is
maximal even if the ring is without identity.

Conjecture. If R is a communative ring and for all
a /= 0 (and /= 1, if 1 in R) is a zero divisor, is
R a Boolean ring?

----
From: William Elliot on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 01:02:12 -0700, William Elliot
>
> Then the prime ideal P may or may not be maximal.

My favorite Boolean ring without identity is
B = { r in (Z_2)^I | support r finite }.

It's equivalent to the Boolean algebra of finite subsets of I.

In that ring, { r in B | r(k) = 0 } is a prime ideal
and it's also maximal. Since every Boolean ring embeds
into R = (Z_2)^I for some set I, does that mean prime
ideals of Boolean rings are maximal?

>> Currently beyond my reach.

> Well, when your reach extends further, reach for it -- I think you
> would really appreciate his style of writing, as well as his cool
> choice of exercises.

What are the page numbers to which you're referring. I'll see
if I can fetch them through local library reference service.

Edition number and date of publication may also be useful.

Does he get into commutative topological rings?
From: quasi on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:49:23 -0700, William Elliot
<marsh(a)rdrop.remove.com> wrote:

>> Ok, here's a counterexample (I think) ...
>>
>> Let A be the boolean ring with identity defined as the quotient
>>
>> A = Z_2[x,y] / (x^2-x, y^2-y)
>>
>> and let B = (x,y), the ideal of A generated by x,y.
>>
>> Then B is a Boolean ring without identity, and in the ring B, the zero
>> ideal is prime but not maximal.

Ok, I see my error. The ring B that I constructed has zero divisors,
so the zero ideal is not a prime ideal. In fact, as you observe below,
in a Boolean ring without identity, every nonzero element is a zero
divisor.

>If B is a Boolean ring without identity, then
>not some a with for all x, ax = x;
>for all a, some x with ax /= x, a(ax + x) = 0.
>
>ie, every non-zero element is a zero divisor.

Right.

>(If 1 in B, every element except 0 and 1, is a zero divisor.)
>
>Let a /= 0. Thus some x with ax /= x, a(ax + x) = 0;
>a(ax + x) in (0) = {0}; a = 0 or ax + x = 0, huh?
>That's a no, no. (0) isn't prime unless B = {0}.
>
>(0) is a prime ideal iff the ring has no zero divisors.
>
>Proposition. A prime ideal of a Boolean ring is
>maximal even if the ring is without identity.

Right, otherwise you could mod out by a non-maximal prime ideal and
get a Boolean ring (with or without identity), but lacking zero
divisors.

>Conjecture. If R is a communative ring and for all
>a /= 0 (and /= 1, if 1 in R) is a zero divisor, is
>R a Boolean ring?

Didn't you ask the same question several years ago, and shortly after
that, didn't I post a proof that such a ring need not be Boolean?

quasi
From: quasi on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:52:55 -0700, William Elliot

>>> Currently beyond my reach.
>
>> Well, when your reach extends further, reach for it -- I think you
>> would really appreciate his style of writing, as well as his cool
>> choice of exercises.
>>
>What are the page numbers to which you're referring. I'll see
>if I can fetch them through local library reference service.
>
>Edition number and date of publication may also be useful.

2nd Edition, 1974.

The early pages.

>Does he get into commutative topological rings?

No.

quasi
From: William Elliot on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:49:23 -0700, William Elliot

>> If B is a Boolean ring without identity, then
>> not some a with for all x, ax = x;
>> for all a, some x with ax /= x, a(ax + x) = 0.
>>
>> ie, every non-zero element is a zero divisor.
> Right.
>
>> Proposition. A prime ideal of a Boolean ring is
>> maximal even if the ring is without identity.
>
> Right, otherwise you could mod out by a non-maximal prime ideal and
> get a Boolean ring (with or without identity), but lacking zero
> divisors.

Clearly if I is an ideal, then B/I is a Boolean ring.
If (a+I)(b+I) = 0+I, then ab+I = 0+I; ab in I;
a in I or b in I; a+I = 0+I or b+I = 0+I. Ok.

How's that a contradiction? There are two Boolean
rings without zero divisors, {0} and {0,1}.

If B/I = {0}, then I = B, a no, no.
If B/I = {0,1}, then some a not in I with B = I \/ a+I.

If b not in I, then b in a+I; b+I = a+I;
I, b+I subset (b,I); B = I \/ a+I = I \/ b+I = (b,I).

In conclusion. If I is an ideal of a Boolean ring B, then
I is prime ideal iff I is maximal ideal

----