From: William Elliot on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:

>>> Well, when your reach extends further, reach for it -- I think you
>>> would really appreciate his style of writing, as well as his cool
>>> choice of exercises.
>>>
>> What are the page numbers to which you're referring. I'll see
>> if I can fetch them through local library reference service.
>>
>> Edition number and date of publication may also be useful.
>
> 2nd Edition, 1974.
>
> The early pages.

Without the exact pages, I couldn't make
a local library reference request.
From: William Elliot on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, William Elliot wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:49:23 -0700, William Elliot
>
>>> If B is a Boolean ring without identity, then
>>> not some a with for all x, ax = x;
>>> for all a, some x with ax /= x, a(ax + x) = 0.
>>>
>>> ie, every non-zero element is a zero divisor.
>> Right.
>>
>>> Proposition. A prime ideal of a Boolean ring is
>>> maximal even if the ring is without identity.
>>
>> Right, otherwise you could mod out by a non-maximal prime ideal and
>> get a Boolean ring (with or without identity), but lacking zero
>> divisors.
>>
> Clearly if I is an ideal, then B/I is a Boolean ring.
> If (a+I)(b+I) = 0+I, then ab+I = 0+I; ab in I;
> a in I or b in I; a+I = 0+I or b+I = 0+I. Ok.
>
> How's that a contradiction? There are two Boolean
> rings without zero divisors, {0} and {0,1}.
>
> If B/I = {0}, then I = B, a no, no.
> If B/I = {0,1}, then some a not in I with B = I \/ a+I.
>
> If b not in I, then b in a+I; b+I = a+I;
> I, b+I subset (b,I); B = I \/ a+I = I \/ b+I = (b,I).
>
> In conclusion. If I is an ideal of a Boolean ring B, then
> I is prime ideal iff I is maximal ideal

I is maximal ideal among ideals excluding a
iff I is proper prime ideal iff I is maximal ideal.

From: quasi on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 02:26:47 -0700, William Elliot
<marsh(a)rdrop.remove.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:

>>> What are the page numbers to which you're referring. I'll see
>>> if I can fetch them through local library reference service.
>>>
>>> Edition number and date of publication may also be useful.
>>
>> 2nd Edition, 1974.
>>
>> The early pages.
>>
>Without the exact pages, I couldn't make
>a local library reference request.

I don't have a copy at present.

But the book really should be read from the beginning.

How far is up to you.

quasi
From: quasi on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 03:14:56 -0700, William Elliot
<marsh(a)rdrop.remove.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, William Elliot wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, quasi wrote:
>>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:49:23 -0700, William Elliot

>>> Right.

>>> Right, otherwise you could mod out by a non-maximal prime ideal and
>>> get a Boolean ring (with or without identity), but lacking zero
>>> divisors.
>>>
>> Clearly if I is an ideal, then B/I is a Boolean ring.
>> If (a+I)(b+I) = 0+I, then ab+I = 0+I; ab in I;
>> a in I or b in I; a+I = 0+I or b+I = 0+I. Ok.
>>
>> How's that a contradiction? There are two Boolean
>> rings without zero divisors, {0} and {0,1}.
>>
>> If B/I = {0}, then I = B, a no, no.
>> If B/I = {0,1}, then some a not in I with B = I \/ a+I.
>>
>> If b not in I, then b in a+I; b+I = a+I;
>> I, b+I subset (b,I); B = I \/ a+I = I \/ b+I = (b,I).
>>
>> In conclusion. If I is an ideal of a Boolean ring B, then
>> I is prime ideal iff I is maximal ideal

Right.

>I is maximal ideal among ideals excluding a
>iff I is proper prime ideal iff I is maximal ideal.

Those iff's should be forward implications.

quasi