From: underh20 on
Hello,

What is the maximum number of files allowed in a directory under UFS
in Solaris 10 ?

What is the maximum number of files allowed in a directory under
Veritas File System 5.0 in Solaris 10 ?

I'd like to know where to locate this maximum number under UFS and
Veritas File System 5.0 in Solaris 10. Is there any way that we could
modify this maximum number ?

Thanks,

Bill
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
underh20 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the maximum number of files allowed in a directory under UFS
> in Solaris 10 ?
>
> What is the maximum number of files allowed in a directory under
> Veritas File System 5.0 in Solaris 10 ?
>
> I'd like to know where to locate this maximum number under UFS and
> Veritas File System 5.0 in Solaris 10. Is there any way that we could
> modify this maximum number ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

If there is a limit, it's huge! It's far more files than it would be
reasonable to catalog in a single directory.

What problem are you trying to solve??

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Stefan Krueger wrote:
> On 2010-05-19, Ceri Davies <ceri_usenet(a)submonkey.net> wrote:
>> On 2010-05-18, underh20 <underh20.scubadiving(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What is the maximum number of files allowed in a directory under UFS
>>> in Solaris 10 ?
>> 32767. See MAXLINK in sys/param.h.
>
> some people here wrote they've seen 70k+ files in single directory...
>
> anyway, MAXLINK seems to be the maximum number of (hard?)links to a
> file and also the limit of subdirectories, see Solaris Internals,
> Second Edition, Page 740-741 "ic_nlink"
>
> I'm still trying to figure out the max. number of files in a
> directory though... maybe someone else can shed some light on this :)

I don't know what the maximum number of files that can be cataloged in a
directory. I do know that it's a very poor idea to put thousands or
tens of thousands of files in one directory. Performance, to put it
bluntly, will suck!